Operating System HDMI audio lost if TV is turned off... help (1 Viewer)

mba

Portal Pro
September 16, 2005
Aarhus
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi

I have one final issue with my HTPC which I does not seem to be able to fix on my own. It has been reported numerous times around the internet and here in these forums, and I have tried every suggestion I have found around the web. Like installing 186.x.x drivers among other things, I don't like the idea to invest €100 or so in a Gefen HDMI detective.

During these CO2 aware times I am not very keen on having my TV on when listening to music, I turn on HTPC, AVR and tv, select a playlist and turn off the tv again. But after a while like 20s or so the display driver seems to autodetect the TV has been removed in the HDMI chain and it does something to the HDMI audio which stops audio playback in mediaportal.

Is there a kind soul out there who fixed a similar issue who would like to share his/her wisdom?

I would change my gfx card if I could but I am using an EB1501 so this is not an option.

Best regards
Martin

quake2rambo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: HDMI audio lost if TV is turned off... help

Hi,
    maybe the driver disables the HDMI-Port but not stops the playback itself. I use the optical out via ac3filter-spdif-passtrough with my Yamaha AVR and a LogiLink HDMI-Switch (20 €) for direct connect to TV. This combination runs perfect (for me).

mba

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2005
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Yes I have thought of using the spdif for music and HDMI audio for tv and movies but even though I can set my receiver to autoselect between either HDMI or digital input it only selects HDMI audio so I guess the HDMI audio is active constantly for for example the gui sounds.

datfreak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2006
    My mobo with onboard gpu /hdmi had issues when restarting the I would get no hdmi audio.It would come alive again when I pulled the hdmi plug and put it back in.
    I searched everywhere but found no fix.

After screwing with every setting I found that turning off the motherboards onboard audio in the BIOS fixed it. Seems it was not needed to pass the data on to the hmdi cable.
    I dont know if this will help your issue but is worth a try.

mba

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2005
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thanks for the input, but unfortunately the only thing I am able to disable in the BIOS is HDMI sound :)

technick

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi, the hardware solution is the "hdmi dtective plus", cost hight, agree but I solved all my hdmi problems with it.

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    mba
    Same problem here on two different systems.

1) Asus EeeBox 1501P (ION2) runnning Windows 7, Nvidia 258.96 driver
    2) Asus P5N7A-VM (Geforce9300) running Windows 7, Nvidia 258.96 driver

When trying the same stunt using Windows Media Player I get a fault message saying something about a audio device was lost or reconfigured.

I was previously running Windows XP on the P5N7A-VM mobo (182.50 drivers), and HDMI audio was working when the TV was set to standby (there were two short pauses but the music kept playing).

I have submitted an issue to Nvidia regarding this problem but no response at all :-(

mba

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2005
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    The problem seems to have gone mysteriously. I installed the PureAudio plugin but still using standard windows playback, no ASIO driver, and I think it was around that time the problem vanished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom