HDTV-out: I need a new card

Discussion in 'General Support' started by thinksnow, May 21, 2006.

1. thinksnow

thinksnow New Member

Quality Assurance
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm looking to upgrade my HTPC2 and move it into the bedroom where the Sony 50A10 is and I want to make sure I can utilze the HDTV aspect of the thing, so...I need a new card.

Having searched the forum and poked around a bit, I've decided on a GF 6200 (I was going to get a 6600, but it's $50 more expensive and I don't see the upside for a non-gaming machine).

My question, though, is whether all 6200's are HDTV capable, or just the ones that advertise it?

For instance, the eVGA 6200 is $39 ($25 A/R) but does not claim HDTV. The Gigabyte 6200, on the other hand does list "HDTV/S-Video Out" but is $56 ($46 A/R).

Is the difference in cost simply because of the DVI-HDTV breakout cable, because if so, I don't care as I have a DVI-HDMI cable I scored off Monoprice for a few bucks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Forgotten Illustrator

Forgotten Illustrator Portal Pro

Radar/Radio engineer
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Home Country:
    HDTV is just a resolution of 1280x720 or greater. The card that i use is just my old graphic card which is a Ti4200. it has a DVI output and this is just a RGB siginal in digital format.

so in conclusion i see no need to get the more expensive one.

4. thinksnow

thinksnow New Member

Quality Assurance
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
  5. Forgotten Illustrator

Forgotten Illustrator Portal Pro

Radar/Radio engineer
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Home Country:
    never had a issue with it. all the formats that i use play great, they have never crashed. the only issue that i have is that live tv kills MP when i change channel the odd time.

mind you that it is just a HTPC and that is all this computer does. so i dont have anything else installed on it to cause conflicts

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!