HDTV Sat tv stutter (DVB-t HDTV ok) (1 Viewer)

akiaki

Portal Pro
September 15, 2008
Zagreb
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
TV-Server Version: latest SVN
MediaPortal Version: latest SVN
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Win XP SP3
CPU Type: AMD 64 x2 5400+
HDD: 1x300gig + 1x500gig
Memory: 2 gig
Motherboard: Gigabyte ma78gm-s2h
Video Card: onboard radeon HD3200
Video Card Driver: 8.15
Sound Card: onboard realtek
Sound Card AC3: optical out
Sound Card Driver: latest :)
1. TV Card: gigabyte u7000
1. TV Card Type: dvb-t
1. TV Card Driver: 1.0
2. TV Card: technotrend skystar hd
2. TV Card Type: dvb-s, dvb-s2
2. TV Card Driver: latest
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: cyberlink
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: cyberlink
Satelite/CableTV Provider: astra 19.2e, astra 28e, hotbird 13e
HTPC Case: cheap one
Cooling: zalman cooler
Power Supply: tagan 400W
Remote: harmony 555
TV: panasonic 42py85
TV - HTPC Connection: hdmi

Hi all, I'm having frustrating stutters when watching dvb-s2 h.264 HDTV transmissions. And only on satellite, dvb-t hdtv is fine. It is not codec related because it happens on all codecs with or without dxva enabled, or when I restart it happens on none of the codecs! After restart, everything works just fine! Since my media center is always on, every time I sit down and want to watch sat tv I have to restart the computer to get normal picture.
The stutters are pretty in sync every second or two apart. The refresh rate is 50hz so that is not the problem here (PAL 25fps). It seams like it's something between the card and the codec, in the stream? I don't know. Has anyone had any similar problems maybe?? I can't figure it out :(

spaztic

Portal Member
November 10, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
Have you tried a codec that off loads HD (h.264) decoding to the GPU, like MPC? Do you get stuttering when viewing a h.264 movie (.mkv)?

It may not sound like a codec because the codec is doing its job, but with running MP, and Sat drivers, decoding HD content can put a load on your CPU, that's why I recommend moving to a codec that off loads the decoding of HD content to your GPU, which is the way it should be done.

akiaki

Portal Pro
September 15, 2008
Zagreb
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
As I said, both work. When there is no stutter using DXVA cpu load is 15% on 1080i channels. With software decoding it's somewhere about 40-60% but I prefer software because I use teletext subtitles and with dxva motion stutters when they appear.
BUT, when stuttering begins, dxva is broken, cpu usage is up to 60% but the stutter is visible on software decoding too and that's what is driving me nuts!
For DXVA I used cyberlink and arcsoft - MPC is a no go here, and software ffdshow and corevideo..
There is apsolutely NO stutter on mkv using any available codec, they all work perfect on 24fps and 25fps material..
SD dvb-s and SD dvb-t work all fine all the time, no stutter whatsoever..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom