HDTV STB capture options? (1 Viewer)

bsdguy

April 22, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello MB users and authors.

I, like everyone, am looking for the best way to capture subscriber content from my STB(s). I'm looking for "full capture", meaning 1080p support with full surround sound. I will be using either firewire or component video + optical audio; no HDMI, to avoid all the HDCP issues.

I'm seeing three options here, and have some questions about each one.

1. STB control and capture via firewire. If the STB is supported (I am picking it up Monday, I turned in the crummy Pace RNG-110 today after fighting unsuccessfully with drivers all night last night). do you get full "premium" content via firewire, on whatever channel the STB is on?

2. Hauppauge Colossus. This is a popular choice and seems to do almost everything. My concern with it is that it won't capture 1080p, which is actually pretty common on CATV here. Most of the premium HD channels (like Discovery Theater HD or HBO) are 1080p, as is all the "on-demand" (PPV) content like movies. If I can't tell the cable box to downconvert 1080p to 1080i, will the Colossus just "give up" when presented with a 1080p signal via component video input?

3. Blackmagic Intensity Pro. This supports 1080p capture, but only stereo audio. Can I configure MP to use the video from one source (the black magic), and the audio from another (optical input on motherboard)?

Lots of questions, and my HTPC is already built based around a WinTV 2250 on an AMD Athlon II 640, with component + optical video out to my receiver, but it's time to get the HD subscriber content into it and ditch the crummy Comcast DVR.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi bsdguy

Sorry for the delayed response. :sorry:

I think basically your only option is the Colossus. In general MP is not designed to support "pure" capture cards (we do support most capture inputs on TV cards - just not capture cards without tuners). The fact that we support the HDPVR and Colossus should be thought of as an exception, not the rule. With that in mind, your Blackmagic proposal won't work - the device isn't supported. I'm not sure that I can see your Firewire capture proposal working either - there are no TV cards that I know of with a firewire input (which means that even if such cards exist, they probably wouldn't be supported otherwise I would have known about them)...

With the concern about 1080p -> 1080i conversion: ask on the Colossus thread. I'm sure you're much more likely to get an answer there.

Once again, sorry for the delay and I hope I've answered your questions,
    mm

bigjohn

Portal Member
    June 27, 2011
    Home Country
    Not trying to thread-nap here...
    but what about the AverMedia card C027? The one also known as MTVHDDVRR?

Windows 7 media center recognizes it, but I want to figure out if Media Portal can - with more than one in a PC!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again bigjohn

The answer is a certain "no" right now. The Hauppauge Colossus and HDPVR required explicit code to add support for them. There is no such explicit support for any other capture card. I'm looking to add generic support for capture cards in 1.3.0, but no promises...

mm

bigjohn

Portal Member
    June 27, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks for that.
    The colossus is almost 2x the price, but I guess that's where i will look...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well, just before you pull the trigger...
    How much are you a fan of running experimental code? As I said in the other thread, I'm working on generic capture device support *right now*. If you want to buy the cheaper Avermedia card (which apparently has other advantages too... **cough**HDCPworkaround**cough**) and are willing to be a tester for my new code then I'd be happy to try and get you up and running. Thoughts???

deskwizard

Portal Member
    April 12, 2010
    St-Hubert
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi mm!

I spent the last nights reading your other 40 something page thread on the colossus and saw how much help you gave there. That is some nice work!

If you want to buy the cheaper Avermedia card (which apparently has other advantages too... **cough**HDCPworkaround**cough**) and are willing to be a tester for my new code then I'd be happy to try and get you up and running. Thoughts???

If that still holds, PM me!

DW

bigjohn

Portal Member
    June 27, 2011
    Home Country
    Hmmmmm.

Mee too, I think.
    I just need to spend some time looking at the capabilities of this software VS win7 Media center...
    Can I run it on Windows Home Server 2011?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    For anyone that is reading: I've PM'd both bigjohn and deskwizard. Anyone else would be welcome to participate too... :)

bigjohn:
    Can I run it on Windows Home Server 2011?
    The card or MP? At a guess I'd say you mean MP (because I'd have no idea about the card). My answer to that question would be an "I don't know". The server OSes are not officially supported, however people do use them quite successfully. Take a look here and here for some information that might be at least partially relevant. My personal feeling is that it would be easier for me to work with you if you're not battling other side issues like WHS support, however I'm not going to dictate terms... :)

deskwizard

Portal Member
    April 12, 2010
    St-Hubert
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi, me again!

I got big news today... long story short, I'll be moving in the next month or so.

I won't forget about this whole deal, but I might have to hold on a little longer than I thought before I'm able to help.:sorry:

I'll try to find time to get into what is involved more in details, mostly what to do in case it doesnt work ... :p
    I'd lie if I'd say that I'm not a bit worried about what to do in this case.
    It's not like I haven't seen any of your work before, I have total confidence in you, just not in the card itself! :p
    I'd hate to be stuck with a sub-par application afterward.

Don't take this as a "nevermind" but more like "a little later".

I guess better be late than sorry ...

DW

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom