HDTV & Stuttering = Need help! (1 Viewer)

thrilled

Portal Pro
October 30, 2008
Greetings all fellow Mediaportal users!

First I want to apologize if the answers to my question has been answered before, however I couldn't find them :(

My problem:

When I play HDTV from Canal Digital (Conax) then I received stuttering when the characters/items moves horizontally. I don't recieve this when I am playing a 1080p 46Mbit movie from my harddrive. So I think my hardware manages to play this so therefor I think it's something with the configs/codecs.

So now I am very interested to see if any of you have found and good solutions to things like this.

My config are:

Windows Vista SP1 + all latest patches
Core2Duo 2.5GHz
4GB memory
MP 1 RC 3
Nvidia PureVision Codec for regular TV
CoreAVC for HDTV
AC3Filter for sound.

Beside choosing the codecs I have done no other settings in mediaportal.

Looking forward to your help!

:D

Sincerely!

/Thrilled

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Are the streams mpeg-2 or h.264 ? Interlaced or Progressive ?

What video/graphics card are you using ? (if the video is interlaced the card might be running out of performance for hardware deinterlacing).

Have you tried using something like GraphStudio (RadScorpion’s blog MONOGRAM GraphStudio)to find out which codecs MP is actually using when playing these streams ?

Tony

zanlation

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2008
    Home Country
    I am having a similar problem. I get stutter on my HD channels, but smooth SD. I have tried PowerDVD 8 Ultra, CoreAVC and ffdshow with the same result. When using HA I use BOB interlacing. Until RC4 I had smooth HD channels. The 1080 videos run smoothly on the PowerDVD codec.

I am using ffdshow audio codec across the board.

My specs are:

Athlon X2 4800+
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    ATI HD3450 Video card
    DigitalNow Dual Digital PCI

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    zanlation,

I think you still have the MPV/MPA codecs, right?, try to unregister it completely with Radlight (use google to find it), I had the experience that MPV is used allways, no matter what you have set in Mediaportal Configurator.

thrilled,

If you have stuttering during horizontal movement, then probably you experience what is called tearing, in that case you must set Vsync to Allways On in your display driver, sometimes also called "wait for vertical refresh" (ATI calls it like this). What also might be the case is that if you have a PAL incoming signal and your outgoing HDMI is NTSC, then your GFX card also has a hard time to sychronize the incoming and outgoing signals. If you have PAL incoming signal, then you must set your HDMI out also to PAL format to for example 1080P @ 25Hz or 720P @50Hz. For smooth movement sometimes 720P @50Hz is better then 1080P @25Hz. In stead of using Nvidia Purevideo, try to use CoreAVC. Also try to get rid of MPV/MPA completely by Unregistering it using Radlight.

I dont know your GFX card, but if it is an older type with low memory, maybe it is better to use Software decoding in stead of hardware acceleration for HD content, because your CPU is fast enough and you also have plenty of RAM to make this a smooth experience. If using software decoding I advise you to use ffdshow.

Lots

zanlation

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2008
    Home Country
    I managed to solve my problem and it was not related to MP in the end. For some reason "adaptive vector" deinterlacing was set in ATI CCC, instead of BOB. So I changed it to BOB, changed the HD codec back to PowerDVD and everything was smooth. My video card cannot handle adaptive vector.

I did originally change it to BOB, so after a reboot it must have defaulted to adaptive vector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom