[OTHER] Help choosing a video card (1 Viewer)

enchant

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I really feel that this has GOT to be covered somewhere, but I can't find it.

I've got an "OK" system that I'm using as a HTPC. It plays dvds and SD videos. Some HD videos are ok, but it stutters on some and audio is out of sync on others. Since my funds are limited, I just live with it. But I recently inherited a Dell computer with a considerably faster CPU than what I'm using. It needs memory, which I'll buy, but I'm sure the on-board video card isn't going to be sufficient.

So I went to Newegg with my credit card in hand, but although there are several reasonably priced video cards, the array of specs are beyond my comprehension, and I'd like to know what's important and what isn't. 64-bit/128-bit? Memory size? Core clock speed? HDMI?

I definitely want a fanless card, but I was wondering if someone could tell me which specs I should be paying attention to. And do I gain anything by connecting via HDMI, rather than the rgb output and audio connection?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit...
At this point, I'm leaning toward this:
MSI R4350-MD512H Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-127-436

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    your PC wants to be able to perform hardware decoding of mpeg2, h264 and vc1

im using the Nvidia geforce 8600GT...which is old...but it has the capability of doing this....which is why i picked it..about 3 years ago!

ill never need a better card...im assuming ..since even bluray uses h264 and its smooth when playing them because of the hardware decoding my graphics card can do

...if u want an Nvidia card...then look at the Nvidia geforce wiki page : Comparison of Nvidia graphics processing units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I specifically chose this card as it is passively cooled (no fan = no noise)...and it has the VP2 which can give me hardware decoding of mpg2, h264 and vc1

i think the newer cards can do hardware decoding of Divx/Xvid...but that hardly dents into CPU anwyay

if your getting a new graphics card..then anything from nvidia 220 upwards will suit perfectly

HDMI-out cards simply mean that audio and video go through the same cable....personally i use SPDIF for audio out as my amp can only do DTS..but if u have a DTS-MA or TrueHD amplifier..then u want HDMI instead...it really comes down to ur setup

im not too familiar with ATI graphics cards

PS: Codecs! Be sure to get a good video decoder (codec) like CoreAVC 2.0 for best results with h264 or the Win 7 DTV video decoder for mpg2

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I can recommend an ATI5450 (there are different variants), depending on your budget (to be honest there is not much between them) - I'd suggest an AT 5450 GDDR3 1GB RAM. Something like one of these: ATI HD5450 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E HDMI Fanless

Or if you are feeling rich (and want to stay with ATI) try a 5670 <--- never tried this cards

Or for Nvidia try a GT430 <--- Never tried this card (takes up two slots too)

J.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    another +1 for not getting 4350, it is too slow for 1080i HDTV. If going for 4XXX I recommend 4670, however the 5XXX cards probably offer better value as they don't make the 4XXX cards anymore (unless you are going second hand), of coruse if you find the 4670 for a very low price then buy it as it's a good card. The advantage of the 5XXX cards is they can do HD audio (eg. DTS-HD), however you have to have a very expensive audio system to be able to output HD audio.

Also try to avoid passive video cards, get one with a very quiet fan, it is a lot better than passive cards which frequently have problems in most setups because of inadequate airflow over the heatsinks, and a lot of people (*not all*) just end up adding more fans to the case which ends up louder than a fan on the actual video card.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Just to add my own recent experiences. I was using onboard ATI HD3200 it couldn't handle HD - I even overclocked it but it was still very poor. I bought two weeks ago off eBay, an ATI 5550 with 1Gb memory for just over £40. This has a small fan on it, which I cannot hear as the fans on the case drown out any noise this small one creates. I use this via HDMI to the TV, although the audio goes optically to the Sony Cinema unit from the motherboard audio out.

The difference in viewing is like comparing apples and oranges. I really was pleasantly surprised by this simple change.

Just checked on eBay (US) and the best price is $43.

HTH.

M

enchant

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Do not get a 4350 they really struggle with many things (particularly de-interlacing)
    They are also only old stock lying around.

A new ATI 5450 would be a much better option
    (something like Newegg.com - XFX HD-545X-YNH2 Radeon HD 5450 (Cedar) 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card)

Thanks again for the help on this. I got the model you recommended and it's working great. I think the driver disc that came with the unit was faulty, but I was able to download drivers, and now all the 720p videos are playing smooth as silk, without any fan noise from the HTPC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom