Help for new MB/CPU setup (1 Viewer)

tonyscha

Portal Pro
May 2, 2007
Iowa
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
My current setup has died, I believe the motherboard has died, I didnt try a new power supply :confused:. I think the bios or northbridge is messed up. So I am pricing out what i need to upgrade. My current setup is

AMD 4200+, 1 Gig of DDR Memory, 7900GS Nvidia Video card. I plan on using the video card for the next setup, unless I dont have too, or can find a cheaper lower powered one.

My requirements are lower power ( less heat/fans) and reasonably priced.

I dont care about intel/amd...

Should i go dual core? Also how about onboard video processing? I want to be able to play 1080p videos, and maybe blu-ray disc in the future.

If I am missing any key features let me know.

:D

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've just upgraded my server and bought the following:

Pentium Dual Core e5200
    MSI G45M Digital
    4gig memory

this was combined with the existing bits I had:
    2x Nova-T PCI DVB-T cards
    Antec Neo 550w PSU
    6 Hard Drives (set to power down when idle)

Using Windows 7 RC, in idle I'm getting power usage of around 65w, load is between 90-100w
    Overall I'm very happy with the power usage and performance of the system, especially as my old P4 server was drawing 130w at idle! :eek:
    In fact, by my rough estimates in a year to 18months I'll have recouped the cost of the upgrade in power savings alone ;)

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    As the 4850e does is not a HT3 CPU, you might regret getting the above (due to limited HD deinterlacing).

If you prefer IGP, I'd go for a Intel E5200 + a nVidia 9300/9400 based mobo.

All my machines have been AMD, but I think that currently Intel/nVidia is a much better choice.

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would have gone for a 9400 as well if I could have found one that matched my requirements, based on this tom's hardware article it is better and more efficient than the G45.

When I was looking to upgrade there wasn't a whole lot of difference between AMD and Intel, I chose Intel simply because I already have Intel based machines and hence I can swap components between them as I upgrade in the future.

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    As the 4850e does is not a HT3 CPU, you might regret getting the above (due to limited HD deinterlacing).

If you prefer IGP, I'd go for a Intel E5200 + a nVidia 9300/9400 based mobo.

All my machines have been AMD, but I think that currently Intel/nVidia is a much better choice.

Not sure about Intel but on the subject of the 4850 I will second this, I did go with the 4850 and ended up ditching it and getting the 7750 to support HW decode with the nvidia 8300

and on the nvidia side I am not at all happy with the Nvidia drivers, I still can't get audio over HDMI or most important the picture to come back when the PC resumes from hibernate or if the TV is powered off and back on. (Black screen of death)
    I am going back and forth with Nvidia customer support but no luck yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom