Help! Handbrake + Mediaportal = :( (2 Viewers)

Edwood

Portal Pro
September 16, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
MediaPortal Version: 1.1 beta (rev 23491)

Hey!

I've been trying, off and on, for a very long time... to find a workable solution to archive / compress my videos. Handbrake recently added H.264 support, and my test encodes worked very well... when I used vlc.

However, I can not get MediaPortal to play any of my files encoded with Handbrake.

My ultimate goal is to reduce the file size, and still have access to the recorded TV via recorded TV. However, I'm using "My Videos" for my testing now so I don't have to rename files & import to db).

I've been going thru a very 'guess-and-check' process... trying various encodes, and trying every decoder setting I can think of. Sadly, I just can't get MP to play anything.
For most of the videos, MP will come up with a message similar to this:
4207086168_1d9a0a60e9_o.jpg

Is there something basic I'm doing wrong here!?

Can anyone provide a known good combination for decoder and encode!?
My options for H264 decoding are:
- Cyberlink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD8)
- ffdshow Video Decoder
- DivX H.264 Decoder
- ffdshow raw video filter

Any suggestions!?

I've included my smallest test encode just in case it helps...

Attachments

• blah-gui1-mpeg4.zip
    30.6 KB

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Might be worthwhile trying xvid4PSP, that gives good results and is dxva compliant :)

Ran your file and it played in WMP11, using MPC MP4 splitter and ffdshow\video\audio codecs, but terrible quality :(

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I've just tried it with a couple of recently compressed videos (Handbreak on it's complete default "normal" settings, saving to .m4v) and it works just splendidly.

I have the SAF pack installed on W7. I can't remember which version though.

Edwood

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm a happy man!

Some other advice led me to install the Haali media splitter from here: Haali Media Splitter, and now it's workin in MP!

I really don't understand how / where the media splitter is being called / invoked, as i'm still using the same decoders... but I am happy happy happy :)

But... Remember how I said
    My ultimate goal is to reduce the file size, and still have access to the recorded TV via recorded TV
    I've got the files playing in MP now, but can't get the subsequent files to play vie Recorded TV. I figured this problem was worthy of it's own thread, so have created a new one here...

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/how-play-non-ts-files-eg-mp4-recorded-tv-75107/#post551043

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom