Help me solve this issue... (1 Viewer)

native2010

April 22, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Ok, you're going to love this. Here's a run down of my set up.

HP m9000t Media PC (Intel DualCore 2.33ghz, 4GB Ram, 320gb HDD, EVGA G-Force 8600GTS, x2 K-World UB435-Q USB ATSC Tuners) Working with OTA ATSC in US (Florida). No cable, No internet at this location (long story, not possible). Win7-Pro 64bit

I've tried several programs over the past couple of years after ditching Satellite, and not being able to justify buying Cable, I've gone with just needing an Antenna outside and using my PC as a DVR. I've tried GBPVR and it works great, but sharing content is tricky. I got around the guide data by carrying MC2XML.exe on a USB Stick, I run it at work or at a friends and bring home an xmltv.xml file, import it into GBPVR and viola, guide listings are great. But again, GBPVR was funny about sharing content and I wasn't feeling all too fuzzy. I have 2 desktop PC's, and a laptop. One desktop (Mentioned above) is the sole HTPC, my laptop I use to stream recordings into the bedroom, and the 3rd PC is my Studio machine for audio / graphics production only.

I remember downloading MP once long ago and not getting it to work due to the lack of internet. In other words, I'd have to unhook my HTPC and bring it into work just to run the install. Is there a way around this? That's one question.

My main thing is this. As I mentioned, I bring home an XMLTV file, and right now I'm actually using Win7 MC which works perfect for me (TV/DVR/Playing MKV's with Sharks media Codec). I use BigScreen EPG to import the listings and after configuring MC to see the listings/channels, I noticed that the data is not always correct. For instance, I look at the guide data for Monday and "The Tonight Show" has details on who's going to be on and so forth, but the information is repeated all week. I am grabbing the XMLTV.xml file daily and importing it and it still just repeats that days information. So I have to manually tag series to record them. I'm a hardware guy, not a software guy so getting as far as I've gotten now is a huge plus, but is there an easy way to fix this? I keep wondering that and searching when I have time at work.

With MP, I don't mind bringing the HTPC into work to install it, but can it run for what I want it for without needing an internet connection? Can I import my XMLTV.xml file without these issues? As I said, it worked in GBPVR but that program was odd. I hear the streaming/sharing with MP is better though, and I want it to integrate with the rest of my media (Music, Movies in MKV/M2TS formats). Anyone have any set ups similar to mine they would like to share on? I'd appreciate it. Sorry for being so long winded, I like to give as much detail as possible. :)

Thanks in advance! :D

edit: If someone has a better solution to importing xmltv.xml files into Win7 MC, I'd be glad to just hear that. :)

craigparris1

Portal Pro
May 20, 2008
Home Country
Hi mate,

My first question would be whether the data in your XMLTV file is actually all OK, or whether it's your current import process that's the problem? You do mention that the XMLTV file used to work OK in GBPVR, so let's make the assumption that the TV guide data is good.

That being the case, there are a number of ways that TV guide data can be imported into MediaPortal, but for your purposes it sounds like the easiest will be the built-in XMLTV plug-in that's part of the TV-Server. That plug-in just waits around for an XMLTV formatted file to be dropped into a specified directory, then it imports it. You can also force a manual import through the TV-Server Configuration Tool. No specific need for internet access, then, to do the import. However, if you do add internet access to your HTPC later on, it's just a case of downloading the file to the directory and it all happens automagically.

In terms of recording particular series-es then, again there are some built-in recording options within MediaPortal that may do enough for you, or there are various other plug-ins that handle things like that ..... it would be surprising if you didn't find something that suited your needs. For me, personally, I can't specifically comment on scheduling based on "series" - I tend to just schedule using "such and such a time each week". Check some of the plug-in/development forums and you should get a good idea of what's available and how they work before downloading and testing.

Cheers,
Craig

p.s. if you are going to install MP, download 1.1.0 RC2 - for my money, it's the most stable release they've done to date

mdbarber

Portal Pro
February 19, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
is there no guide via the dvb-t broadcast?, in the uk we get that and it works fine in mp.

native2010

April 22, 2010
Home Country
is there no guide via the dvb-t broadcast?, in the uk we get that and it works fine in mp.

I've read that WinMC in Win7 was supposed to have this feature working, but I've never seen it work or never really seen how to set that up specifically. It's always tried to pull off of the internet. I've tried SageTV (Trial) And that worked, but Sage was extremely buggy and kept freezing up.

I've solved my problem actually, I poked around a forum for Big Screen EPG. I was using that program to import the data, and someone else had the exact same problem and solved it. It had to do with the unique identification of each program/episode. The XML data is fine, I looked it over and it has everything in there, since it's pulling from the same service that Microsoft pulls from. It's essentially the same data WMC grabs over the internet, I'm just getting it in XML format first then having to convert it into their MXF format.

Thanks for the input though. MP looks like a great program and if I had to venture away from WMC, I'd take another look at it. :)

andrewNZ

Portal Member
March 31, 2010
Dunedin
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
You can install MediaPortal without an internet connection, but you do need the files to install or already installed.
I got sick of always downloading files when I installed it, so i copied the files from the install directory and paste them back during an install.

The install files live in (win7/vista) C:\Users\{logged in user}\AppData\Local\Temp\MediaPortal Installation\deploy\ (WinXP) C:\Documents and settings\...

I'd suggest that the easiest way (but not the only way) would be to take it to work and run the installer but choose the "download files only" option rather than the "install now" option. If you choose the install option, as soon as the install is done the files are deleted.
Once the files are downloaded go to the directory and copy them to somewhere else so you have a copy for next time. (there is always a next time)

To copy the files back to the directory for an install, you need to first start the installer and proceed to the summary page (I'm sure it has a real name) and rather than click install, click previous. Now you can copy the files in and proceed with the install.

Hope this helps. There might be better ways to do things, but this works for me.

In New Zealand we have been having issues with DVB-T guides since it started, due to the providers choosing MHEG5 as the standard.
There has recently been a great development, a chap has come up with a grabber which even in it's early stages, works like a charm.

They are still working on it, but here is the link if it helps.
MHEG5 EPG Data grabber

NRivera637

Portal Member
September 7, 2013
Home Country
I just posted a working solution (cable) for this - hope you still have the tuner(s) around..!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom