Help needed with latest mediaportal and Harmony remote (1 Viewer)

Joche

Portal Member
February 18, 2007
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I have tried almost everything now but just can't get it to work smoothly.

I have an Harmony 688 which currently has imported the Mediaportal device found in the logitech database. I then learned the system some of the commands. Not everyone the configuration.exe is offering for learning is found on the remote, but I did what I could. Now I am in a situation where INFO works in the video plugin, but it doesn't bring out the context menu in the music plugin. I can't STEP NEXT track inte the audio.. Well, lot's of things isn't really working as good as they could.

I assume that STEP FWD and STEP BACK is used along many plugins, but still there are options for both NEXT AUDIOTRACK, NEXT PICTURE and NEXT CHAPTER.

Unfortunately I just can't find the logic in all this. Can someone provide me with a list of the basic functions/commands that Media Portal is using along all plugins?

I'm willing to emulate any other remote control on the market if that's necessary. Please just help me out here.

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've got a Harmony 525 and set it up to act as a MCE remote (as I have the MCE receiver), the MCE remote already exists in the Logitech database, chose the option in Media Portal config to use the MCE remote and everything works fine, no problems at all.

Joche

Portal Member
    February 18, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ahh, I should have said that I'm using a USB-UIRT device along with my remote. I have tried teaching Harmony to be a MCE remote and then used USB-UIRT as input device in the Media Portal configuration. That caused the whole Configuration.exe to crash, something I told about unreplied in another thread.

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    I was going to ask what receiver you was using.....unfortunately I've only ever used MCE remotes and receivers with Media Portal so I'm afraid I can't help that much.

Have you got a remote that came with the USB-UIRT device or did you purchase it separately along with the Harmony? because my suggestion would be to get another remote working correctly with Media Portal and then configure the harmony as I've found that although Logitech have lots of devices in their database it doesn't mean the codes they have are 100%, for instance out of the box my harmony sends 2 up commands to my sky+ box rather than 1 so I had to manually capture the command from the sky+ remote.

nfox

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    I'm also using a Harmony 688 remote and USB-UIRT. I gave up with the USB-UIRT setup in MP, because I just couldn't get it working, and got confused. There seem to be seperate commands for things like forwarding music and forwarding video, and they can't both be assigned to the same keys on the remote. Or something.

Anyway, I am now using Girder to send windows messages to MP, and And-81s Message Plugin. With this combination you get fantastic control of MP, with context sensitive buttons and everything, as well as control of the PC outside MP. I strongly recommend you check it out.

Joche

Portal Member
    February 18, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks nfox! I guess this was the answer I was afraid to get. I'll go a rond with girder again.
    I registered years ago in version 3 and the upgrade is really pricy, well seen in dollars atleast. If I compare it to the rest of the HTPC it's peanuts ofcourse. :)

Anyway, I'll take the girder or perhaps Hip road from now. The thing with different buttons for the same task depending on if it's a music file or movie file is really annoying. I can only think of one situation where that would make sense: When watching a slideshow with background music and want to turn pictures but not track. But, to be honest, when in picture mode: control the pictures. When in music player: Control the player. How hard can it get?

Well, that's it - I'm of for girder now. Thanks again.

UPDATE:
    Exactly which device did you say you where using when you configured the remote control? I can't find a good one that has all the buttons.

Joche

Portal Member
    February 18, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm almost there now!

I simply picked the "Media Portal" media center device in the Harmony Setup.

Now almost everything works the way I want. Your advice about the message plugin was really useful, I can see a lot of things I want to control in a better way.

But that's certainly only "nice to have" status for now. I am stuck in one thing now, I just can't get the SKIP FWD and SKIP REW to work. I have teached my remote those commands and teached HIP about them, and also configured, atleast I think so, the Message Plugin.

The Skip FF and Skip REW are really useful. In videos I want them to skip 30 sec in the movie and in audio I want to play the next track. I just can't get them to work at all.

Any ideas? Is this another support question maybe?

nfox

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    I sorted out things like that using the context option in the Message Plugin - in video screen the next and prev buttons step forward and backward, in the music module they skip to the next or prev track. I can't get to my Message Plugin config right now to see exactly how I did it (a lot of stuff is already set up in the Message Plugin anyway, so I prolly didn't do much), but you should be able to sort everything out in there.

Joche

Portal Member
    February 18, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks for encouraging me to continue. Right now I'm absolutely stucked, Step FF and Step Rew is not working anywhere. I'll take a nap now and come back on this tomorron eve. Thanks for today!

Zappza

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi!
    It's been a while since your last reply, so I was just wondering if you had found any solution to this problem?
    Would be awesome if you did, as I have exactly the same problem with my Harmony 555.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom