Help Setting Up MCE Remote Plugin (1 Viewer)

iamone79

March 11, 2007
I would love to use this plugin with my mce remote but cannot work out how to assign the commands to the remote. I have been able to replace the mce drivers but have no clue how to set it up. I'd prefer to just use the plugin without HIP or Girder and would ultimately like to have a key assigned to the remote e.g "the green button" to launch Media Portal via a shortcut created through ultramon to launch mp on hdtv as primary monitor in fullscreen. Would someone be able to provide me with a step by step guide on how to assign the commands to buttons on the mce remote. Im assuming this is done through the plugin configuration within MP.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    There's detailed documentation included with the plugin, I'd encourage you to have a good read of all the included documentation and give it a try yourself.

Once you've had a try come back and we can answer your specific questions.

I don't mean to be rude. So please don't misunderstand me, it's just that there is a lot of information already available. The button mapping system is the same as the one built in to MediaPortal. The rest is well documented.

If there is something missing in the documentation let me know and I'll try to improve it.

PS. I've deleted your duplicate post on the MCE Replacement Plugin thread. Let's keep the conversation in one place.

Cheers,

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The EXE in the ZIP is an installer. Once you install the plugin the documentation will be available by clicking "Help" inside the plugin setup or by going to your start menu -> MediaPortal -> MCE Replacement Plugin -> Documentation.

There is no harm in installing the plugin and then uninstalling it if you are not happy with it. But if you would prefer I can make the documentation available separately?

Cheers,

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    How to configure MCE Replacement Plug-In

The EXE in the ZIP is an installer. Once you install the plugin the documentation will be available by clicking "Help" inside the plugin setup or by going to your start menu -> MediaPortal -> MCE Replacement Plugin -> Documentation.

There is no harm in installing the plugin and then uninstalling it if you are not happy with it. But if you would prefer I can make the documentation available separately?

Cheers,
    I must be dim, but I have read through the documentation and cannot figure out how to access the MCE Replacement Plug-In configuration dialog, which is described in such wonderful detail in the help topic "Configuring the Plugin". I couldn't find anything in the start menu which looked like a configuration utility, nor did I find any additions in MP's own setup utility. In desperation, I tried executing "C:\Programme\MCE Replacement Driver\devcon.exe", but a closer examination suggests that this is a Vista component. Hopefully executing it (without arguments) on my XP system didn't do any harm.
    I only installed the MCE Replacement Plug-In for the MCE Replacement Tray.
    Does this actually require the plug-in, or does it work independently?
    And yes, it would be nice to be able to read the documentation *before* installation!

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey rsbrux,

The plugin configuration is accessed from inside MediaPortal setup.
    Go to MediaPortal Setup, Plugins, Process Plugins, Right-click on MCE Replacement Plugin and select Configuration.

Devcon is a Microsoft utility to manipulate (install, uninstall, modify) device drivers. It won't do any harm to your system if you ran it by itself.

MCE Replacement Tray doesn't need the plugin to run. So feel free to keep a copy and uninstall the plugin, if that's all you need.

Also, by popular demand I've now posted the documentation as a sticky thread in the MCE Replacement plugin sub-forum, here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mce_replacement_plugin_documentation-t22667.html

Hope that helps,

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi Aaron,
    Thanks for the quick and informative response! The configuration dialog says "... for Media Portal 0.2.2.0 + SVN" even though I chose "custom" in the installation and left "SVN" unchecked. I am using the release version of 0.2.2.0 (w/o SVN). For the time being, I have just disabled the MCE Replacement Plug-In, in case I need some of the features later. Do I have the wrong version installed?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey,

I made a mistake with the "No SVN" version. It says "+ SVN", but that's all. If it was the SVN version it wouldn't even get that far.

There are a couple of limitations of the non-SVN version, but nothing that should stop you from using it. You should consider moving to a recent SVN, there's been a lot of bug fixing going on, and the improvements over 0.2.2.0 are pretty big.

good luck,

andyd

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Guys, There is a howto in this forum, read the howto and if you dont undertstand something or have any questions. Ask in the howto thread. This will save Aaron from having to go thru these posts....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom