Help/Tips regarding browsing My Music (1 Viewer)

lowcrust

Portal Member
January 1, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
I need some tips on how to make my media portal music database faster and easier to browse. I have a lot of music, it's my main interest in life and my main reason for having a media center in the first place. I, stupidly, bought Windows MCE without having investigated it enough. In MCE you have to manually add all your music in Media Player, effectivly destroying all your metadata in the process. So out went MCE and in with what seemed to be the best alternative. I like Media Portal a lot, but here also I seem to have a hard time getting friends with the music engine.

My Music takes anything from 30 seconds to a few minutes to start up. Then if I wanna listen to ZZ Top I have to press the down arrow around one thousand times to get down to that folder. In a normal Win XP folder I can press Z and the first folder starting with a Z will be selected.

I suspect I'm doing something wrong here, can anybody help me out?

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    If you have a large music collection you should use one of the db views, personally i like & use Album Artist(all music it's tagged for it here, + in MP configuration you can setup your own view too).
    The fast zap to a letter works within MP too, use Shift + Z & you're on letter z or if you have a MCE remote you can use those buttons too.

Regards
    Roy

mascot

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Tags?

I've got the same problem. Not artist wise but more genre wise. (started another thread about how I would like to be able to "tag" my music but got no answers or ideas)

I would like to add tags to all folders/albums I have... Then when I wanna listen to a certain genre or subgenre I would want to select the genre(s) I prefer. I would also like to be able to chose two ways - either albums tagged with exatly my chose combo or albums tagged with my chosen tags + other tags aswell.

An example...

Album 1. Tags - Pop, Electronic, Future-pop

Album 2. Tags - Pop, Electronic, Dance

Album 3. Tags - Electronic, EBM

Album 4. Tags - Electronic, Intelligent dance music

Album 4. Tags - Electronic, Ambient

Album 5. Tags - Pop

If I chose the tag: [Pop] and select [ONLY] then all albums containting ONLY the tag Pop would be chosen (ie. only number 5.)

If I chose the tag: [Pop] and select [ALL] then all albums tagged with the tag Pop would be chosen (ie. number 1,2 and 5)

For example if u have a "normal" party at home you could chose [pop] [dance] [ALL] and [hiphop] [soul] [ALL] and then [jazz] or [death metal] would not be on the playlist, UNLESS they contain these tags, wich they would probably not. They would probably contain [rock] [metal] or only [jazz] or [jazz] [fusion jazz]...

I don't know shit about programming but If anyone would do a plugin like that I would love it... or is there any other way? I would preferably wanna do it all with the remote. Ie. a page with alot of small icons each consisting of all tags you have put on your music and two big icons one with ALL and one with ONLY to chose what way you wanna pick out the genres and subgenres.

Then you make some nice symbols/icons for different genres like a electric guitarr on [metal] a keyboard on [electronic] and a pentagram on [death metal] ??? you get the idea... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom