HELP US: Testing the new filter (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asd7000

Portal Pro
May 17, 2008
I had never Problems with ffdshow and MPEP2 you only have to configure ffdshow to decode MPEG2. Because per default MPEG2 decoding is disabled. You can do this via the ffdshow video decoder configuration in the direct show filters tab. As decoder use libmpeg2. you can enable dvd decoding too. DVD decoding is working fine for me even in windows media player. i had better video quality than the mpv codec that comes with mediaportal!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I had never Problems with ffdshow and MPEP2 you only have to configure ffdshow to decode MPEG2. Because per default MPEG2 decoding is disabled. You can do this via the ffdshow video decoder configuration in the direct show filters tab. As decoder use libmpeg2. you can enable dvd decoding too. DVD decoding is working fine for me even in windows media player. i had better video quality than the mpv codec that comes with mediaportal!

I guess the filter name was then something else. But t hat code segment is definately blocking TsReader's video output pin from connecting.

Code:
      if (mpeg2Video)
      {
        //dont accept FFDShow for mpeg1/2 video playback
        if (wcscmp(filterInfo.achName,L"ffdshow Video Decoder")==0)
        {
          return E_FAIL;
        }
        if (wcscmp(filterInfo.achName,L"ffdshow raw video Decoder")==0)
        {
          return E_FAIL;
        }
      }

asd7000

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2008
    Well the codec name is the right one. But if i take a short look at the code i know why it isn´t working :D
    But for me ffdshow was ever working proper or MP selected an other one and i never regocnized that!

furynick

December 11, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    ffdshow work for everthing else HDTV (SDTV, DVD, MPG, MKV) ... the mpeg2 format is enabled in decoder settings with libmpeg2 as I can show SDTV and read DVD.

On the other hand ffdshow can decode recorded streams when .ts files are renamed to .mkv or .mpg, so the codec work properly in my opinion.

asd7000

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2008
    i can use ffdshow in Windows Media Player to decode DVD an it works better than the Cyberlink Codec. But now i can remember that i had some problems with recordings over network. Live TV played fine but the recordings weren´t working. But i thought the problem was caused by Windows 7 and IPv6. But under Windows 7 there is no need for ffdshow. Windows 7 has nearly all needed Codecs and the Mpeg2 Decoder of MS makes a much better picture than ffdshow therefore i only installed the H264 Codec from Cyberlink after making a clean new install for MP. Have you installed the Haali Media Splitter? You can try enabling Haali Support for all formats. Maybe this works because then the first connected codec is the haali splitter and not ffdshow. But ffshow conects to the haali splitter. I am sure that ffdshow can play transport streams because i had done this many times with ffdshow and Windows Media Player 11 on Windows XP and there was no other mpeg2 codec than ffdshow.

furynick

December 11, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Halli splitter is installed but all options are leaved at their default ... I'll try that this evening.

jhb

Portal Pro
    September 19, 2006
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Oh I didn't know that, good to know. What's the "ideal" codec? is it best just to use MPV? it seems the picture quality is not as good as NVIDIA? Or am I imagining that!? btw I don't have a NVIDIA video card so it's not like I'm making use of it in terms of the hardware.

I would suggest to try the PowerDVD / Cyberling mpeg2 decoder and ffdshow decoder for audio. Currently Cyberlink audio decoder isn't playing that nicely with the TsReader when changing channels.

Hi,
    I have exactly this setup in my HTPC client and have the same problems with ffwd/rew. Furthermore after the official 1.0 release I've started to get a lot of problems when switching TV channel. I had everything working just fine with RC4, but last weekend I had to re-install the computer after a harddrive crash and with 1.0 I can't get it to work. Most times when doing a channel change the screen goes black and sound continues.

I've tried several different codec combinations for video and audio and no progress. Neither with ffwd/rew problem, nor with channel switching problems...

I have a dual seat configuration with a dedicated TV server and two dedicated clients. The XP-based client is still running RC4 towards the 1.0 final release server without any problems. The failing client has Windows vista home basic (that worked with RC4).

jhb

Portal Pro
    September 19, 2006
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    This drives me crazy. Now it seems to be working. What I did was to uninstall the CCCP-codec pack entirely, including the ffdshow codecs. I then set MP to use the Powerdvd codecs for both audio and video and now everything seems to work...
    ...but it didn't immidiately...
    ...when I uninstalled ffdshow it seemed like the SPDIF out configurations were lost in the audio config. Before I changed that, I still had problems with video disappering. Now I can't reproduce that problem...
    ...what is happening??? :confused:

I'm continuing my quest for truth. Now I'm going to reinstall CCCP, but not change anything and see if it works then...

Edit: OK, so now I tried to add CCCP again. Everything works fine. I can even use the FFDSHOW codecs, unless for MPEG2, where there seems to be some issues, but when reconfiguring PowerDVD everything works again. There must have been some issue regarding that CCCP was installed before PowerDVD? Or something that had to do with the MPV codec being installed twice (MP & CCCP, but only one showed). After removing CCCP, I had only the PowerDVD-codecs for MPEG2...

I don't know, but now I can't seem to reproduce the problems. In my previous installation I had exactly the same codecs except for another free MPEG2-codec that I was not using...
    ...strange, but symptom solved at lest (even though the problem isn't). :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I'm closing this thread as the TsReader (new filter that this thread was about) has been in use for a long time. So all bug reports / support queries should be handled in different place.

Thanks for all who did participate in the testing :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom