Help with deinterlacing (1 Viewer)

Zorg

Portal Pro
June 12, 2008
Home Country
Spain Spain
Hi,

could someone, please, provide some explanation, or any link to some post with explanation about how deinterlacing works in MP?

Now and then I record films from TV that suffer from interlacing issues, especially in fast pan shots or lateral movements of the actors. I'm not sure that the filters in MP TV configuration (Bob, Weave, Best) can improve that, and anyway I'm wondering if those filters work also when playing the recorded TV.

The thing is I have six or seven interlaced films recorded from TV and I would like to know what I can do with them. May be demux the transport stream and try to remember how I used years ago scripts in avisynth with deinterlacing filters to fix that issue.

I would appreciate very much some help. The interlaced films I'm talking about have great worth for me.

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi zorg,

I was pretty disappointed with the quality of TV, read interlaced material, and I have spent quite some time to find the best (for me) combination of codec and deinterlacing.

What works best for me is to use ATI MPEG codec (no you don't need a ATI gfx card to use it, I have an Nvidia) together with ffdshow for post-processing. I have disabled deinterlacing in MP and enabled it in ffdshow. I use Kernelbob in ffdshow together with some sharping. This gives me very good quality, especially when watching sports where there is a lot of horizontal panning etc.

As far as I can see there is only one disadvantage with this setup and that is I can not use HW acceleration for h264 decoding. Since I have ffdshow in the flow it automatically turns off HW acceleration. I have a C2D E6600 so I can do that in the CPU instead of the gfx card but I'm not sure that would work for 1080p material. It works fine for 720p (Swedish HDTV).

So this is my setup but I've understoond that this may not be the optimal combination for everyone depending on personal preference, LCD-panel, etc, etc. Hopefully it can give you a good start to continue to tune.

Cheers

/Peter

gonzo21

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi together, deinterlacing with ffdshow is a good thing, easy to manage and gives very good tv-output. I use 5-tap lowpass, but this really depends on what you like, what kind of tv you have and so on. To have fast situations go smooth on your htpc, really take care of the correct Hz-rate of your htpc-output. Havin a 100Hz LCD and giving him 60Hz signals out of your htpc will look quite stuttering on fast horizontal movements. I.e. try 50 Hz, that should be much better.
    Additionally, have a look at your cpu power ... petsa speaks of adding some sharpening as well, thats fine, but you need to have some cpu power for this! I use an Athlon X2 2350-BE and adding sharpening really pushes the cpu-need for me ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom