Help with settings for codecs, in and out of MP (1 Viewer)

coopers

Portal Pro
November 8, 2005
Adelaide
Home Country
Hi folks,

I have a very high end Pioneer Kuro screen - and I'm on a quest to make sure that my tv quality is as good through Mediaportal as it is through the inbuilt tuner - it's close and I want to tweak. I see a little bit of un-smoothness in motion - what could cause this?
(the motion un-smoothness looks kind of like a dropped frame skip, but the "!" info doesn't log any...)

Anyway, I'm kind of confused - there are a lot of options, and I'm not sure what sticks and what affects what. The wiki doesn't cover the detail I want to go into.

Lets start with the questions:

1)
When watching tv, if I press the OK/select button on the remote, a screen pops up with all the channels, and some percentage numbers - what are these numbers? Signal Quality/strength? What should they be? I have values ranging from 34% through 95%. Could these be causing some occasional judder I see/lack of smoothness?

2)
I have cyberlink powerdvd decoder installed, and in MP configuration utility, I can see it there, under directshow filter control - this much is fine. So: I have "use hardware accelleration" selected, and VMR9 exclusive on. The problem is that when I go into "settings" screen inside MP itself, I can select as MPEG-2 Codec, 3 different cyberlink entries!
- cyberlink video/sp decoder (pdvd7) (using this one)
- cyberlink video/sp BD-HD Decoder (PDVD7.x)
- Cyberlink SAC Video decoder (PDVD7 HomeNetwork)
So which one is the right one and what are the others even there for? Which one corresponds to the settings I can select in MP configuration?

I also have MP decoder (this doesn't seem to do widescreen?), Nvidia purevideo (I get motion blur), and FFDSHOW (less smooth than cyberlink).

3)
What are the anti-alias settings inside MP settings affecting? All the decoders seem to have their own settings inside MP configuration, so is this setting changing anything? Do they affect each other and how?

4)
Is there a way to view CPU usage (and maybe GPU usage/other useful performance stuff (like current codec, etc, much in the way the OSD for ffdshow works) while watching fullscreen MP?
How do you guys get this info?

5)
Lastly, when I hit "!" I see some information come up on the screen - where is it documented what these numbers actually are? I assume one is frame rate? The others are...? What is that line doing that crosses the screen? Is there supposed to be a difference on one side of the line to the other?
Also I notice that different codecs while enabled do not update some fields in this diagnostic - what's the reason for this - any info on how it works and what I should expect to see?

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello coopers,

here are some answers...

1)
    When watching tv, if I press the OK/select button on the remote, a screen pops up with all the channels, and some percentage numbers - what are these numbers? Signal Quality/strength? What should they be? I have values ranging from 34% through 95%. Could these be causing some occasional judder I see/lack of smoothness?

These percentages display the progress of the current program. If a program lasts from 1pm to 2pm for example and you are looking at the index at 1:15pm it will display "25%", looking at it at 1:30pm will result in "50%".

4)
    Is there a way to view CPU usage (and maybe GPU usage/other useful performance stuff (like current codec, etc, much in the way the OSD for ffdshow works) while watching fullscreen MP?
    How do you guys get this info?

There is no way of displaying this in fullscreen mode, however you could either have a look at the MySpeedfan plugin which displays speedfan data inside MediaPortal or you could login via RemoteDesktop as a second user (if your OS supports this) and monitor your stats there. You didn't provide any system information so I am just guessing on this (Only Windows Server systems allow such multiple logins out-of-the-box but there are tweaks for Windows XP which will allow this as well).

-level20peon

coopers

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2005
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    thanks! I will try the plugin.

As for system information... duh, I have to click that box that makes my system specs available. There you go!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom