Help with TV via External Reciever and MCE Remote (1 Viewer)

Flaystus

Portal Member
September 20, 2006
It really does look like Media Portal is the one for me as far as other features go. So now I just need my TV working.

I can get it to display the channel I've manually set it to but how can I get Media Portal to use the IR built into my MCE Remotes reciever and change channels?

Maybe I'm missing something simple. After that I tackle the EPG and I'm all done, so if you can help with the changing channels thing you would be my personal hero. :D

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    If you're using TV Engine 3 (The TV Server) then there is a plugin that comes with it called ServerBlaster. It will let you change channels on your set top box.

If you are using TV Engine 2 (comes with the standard MediaPortal package) then you will need to download either "MyBlaster" or "MCE Replacement plugin".

If you are new to MediaPortal then I recommend MyBlaster. If you're looking for some additional functionality then I would recommend MCE Replacement Plugin.

There is a lot of information about these two plugins in the forums, so do a search and see how you go.

Good luck,

Flaystus

Portal Member
    September 20, 2006
    Thanks I found the MCE Replacement last night but the driver does not load so a loto f the additional functions will not work for me. I'll try the MyBlaster plugin and see how it goes.

Flaystus

Portal Member
    September 20, 2006
    Thanks again for your help so far. Everything works but still only as long as I manually tune. I tried the Myblaster and it learned all my remote codes but the first step

"unpack the contents of the "bin" directory in the directory where you installed MediaPortal"

Does not cause the plugin to appear in the MediaPortal setup or tune correctly.

So then I tried to use the Test button in the setup and it doesn't appear to do a thing. Would I be better off getting some other type of equipment to send the IR signals?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey,

As far as MCE Replacement Plugin is concerned:
    The only thing that the MCE Replacement Driver gives you is the ability to remap some of the previously "hard-wired" buttons. You should be able to do everything else without it. Have a read through the documentation that comes with the plugin and see how you go.

As for MyBlaster:
    It sounds like you have not unpacked the files into the right location. I don't use this plugin myself, but there is a lot of information on the forums about it. I believe the dll file needs to be in MediaPortal\Plugins\Process\

Search the forums for more information on both plugins. There is plenty of information out there.

I believe the MCE remote hardware is well supported, I don't think you'd have any better luck with other hardware, but I could very well be wrong on that.

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom