Hibernation Problem (1 Viewer)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Ive just finished a brand new MP install including an OS upgrade to win7 and MP1.2RC (from XP SP3 and a 1.0.1 version of MP).

Since the upgrade though im having issues with the hibernation side of Mediaportal where i can manually hibernate MP, and it will come out of sleep mode to record TV, however it wont go back into hibernation on its own, meaning that if im recording someting in the middle of the night, MP will have woken up and recorded the show, but wont have gone back into hibernation so it will still be on in the morning.

I have my settings as follows:

MP config -> Allow hibernation after 5 minutes (box is ticked).
TVserver config -> Allow hibernation (box is unticked).
Win7 Power options -> Sleep mode - Allow hibernation after 15 minutes.

I havent attached any logs as im at work right now, and its probably pointless as it doesnt fail as such.

Anyone got any ideas?

MediaPortal Version: MP1.2 RC
MediaPortal Skin: Avalon
Windows Version: Win7 + SP1
CPU Type: AMD AM2 X2 4600+
HDD: 2 x Samsung F1 2Tb
Memory: Corsair 4Gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte nForce 430 Micro ATX
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4670
Sound Card: On board 7.1
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
h.264 Video Codec: DivX7
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion
Cooling: Scythe Mini Ninja
Power Supply: Antec 430W
Remote: Hauppauge
TV: Samsung 42" Plasma
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI -> HDMI

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MP config -> Allow hibernation after 5 minutes (box is ticked).

Correct

TVserver config -> Allow hibernation (box is unticked).

Wrong needs to be enabled, otherwise system will never hibernate.

Win7 Power options -> Sleep mode - Allow hibernation after 15 minutes.

Windows power\screen settings need to be set to never turn off.

Why not use sleep, far quicker than hibernate.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks PD, yes the above settings did sort the problem out, i actually did have TVserver set to hibernate, but the hibernation period was the same as MP client config and i think it was causing issues.

The one problem im having now is that when the htpc goes into hibernation and i then manually reawake the system (by pressing the power button) MP sometimes hangs or crashes. Automatic waking/going back into hibernation for a set event (recording or epg grab) seems to work fine.

I use hibernation rather than sleep purely for power reasons. I know that theres hardly any difference seeing as its only RAM thats kept running in S3? but ive just always done it that way. Switching to sleep may fix my remaining issue though, ill test it out later when i can kick the missus up to bed :D

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Ok, im now sprouting new problems with hibernation, can anybody help? Ill start with my settings:

MP config -> Allow hibernation after 6 minutes (box is ticked). Forced shutdown
    TVserver config -> Allow hibernation 5 after (box is ticked). Forced shutdown
    Win7 Power options -> Monitor/power (never allow to switch off).

The problem...

Ive now got my original issues sorted and MP will now automatically shut itself down after a short time (i can also hibernate manually using Power -> Hibernate in the home screen), however when either manually turning the system back on using the power button or if MP wakes itself for a recording/epg event, MP will crash (popup saying MP has stopped working). I know that TV server still works in the background because scheduled tv shows have recorded just fine despite the crash.

Frustratingly this only happens when running in normal mode and refuses to happen when running in debug mode (ive tried 3 or 4 times in both modes, and on every occasion it will crash in normal mode but not in debug mode :mad:) so i cant attach any logs.

Does anyone have any ideas? Im thinking of setting up a macro for my remote power button so that it closes MP -> puts the system into hibernation as i think this will solve the issue of MP being open already when waking up and causing a crash.

Thanks for any help, sorry for the long post but this is the last piece of an otherwise faultless install :)

MediaPortal Version: MP1.2 RC
    MediaPortal Skin: BleazleWide
    Windows Version: Win7 + SP1
    CPU Type: AMD AM2 X2 4600+
    HDD: 2 x Samsung F1 2Tb
    Memory: Corsair 4Gb
    Motherboard: Gigabyte nForce 430 Micro ATX
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4670
    Sound Card: On board 7.1
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T500
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    h.264 Video Codec: DivX7
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case: Antec Fusion
    Cooling: Scythe Mini Ninja
    Power Supply: Antec 430W
    Remote: Hauppauge
    TV: Samsung 42" Plasma
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI -> HDMI

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well the difference between debug mode and normal mode is plugins. Does that give you any clues?

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there

It's very difficult to diagnose without logs.

You could try using mpstandby handler instead of a macro.

Is there any reason you hibernating and not sleeping?

J.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Well the difference between debug mode and normal mode is plugins. Does that give you any clues?

Even on option 2 (report a problem to a plugin developer or skin designer) in debug mode? Ive tried both debug options and cant get it to replicate, only in normal mode.

Hi there

It's very difficult to diagnose without logs.

You could try using mpstandby handler instead of a macro.

Is there any reason you hibernating and not sleeping?

J.

I know, thats why its so frustrating that i cant get it to do it in debug mode :mad:

I use hibernation instead of sleep purely for power reasons. I know it hardly makes any difference as its only the RAM thats kept on in sleep mode but thats just the way ive always used standby. Maybe using sleep mode will cure the problem, ill give it a try tonight.

Out of interest, what are everyones settings for hibernation?

I have:

TVserver - Hibernate after 3 minutes - Forced mode
    M-Portal - Hibernate after 4 minutes - Non forced mode
    Windows Power options - Never turn off screen or system.

Ive tried playing around with the settings, and i get different results. If i swap the hibernation times for MP and Tvserver around (4 minutes for TVserver and 3 minutes for MP) then it doesnt crash on manual startup after hibernation, however TVserver then doesnt wake itself up for events (record Tv, grab EPG).

Im sure that its just a conflict with my settings somewhere...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Even on option 2 (report a problem to a plugin developer or skin designer) in debug mode? Ive tried both debug options and cant get it to replicate, only in normal mode.
    I think you've missed my point. My point was that "debug mode" disables all your plugins. If you have the problem in normal mode but you don't have the problem in debug mode then it would be a good guess to say that the problem may be caused by a plugin.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    I think you've missed my point. My point was that "debug mode" disables all your plugins. If you have the problem in normal mode but you don't have the problem in debug mode then it would be a good guess to say that the problem may be caused by a plugin.

Ok thanks, didnt know that. Out of interest, how does MP do a plugin/skin de-bug in option 2 if it disables the plugins?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom