Hickup during song skipping (1 Viewer)

tani

Portal Member
May 15, 2008
Tirana
Home Country
Hi Symphy,

Great plug-in really, thanx in the name of audiphiles,

I am really trying to get the best out of this and I have been doing some testing. I use an HP laptop as my media center and use spdif out to a logitech 5.1 set of speakers, z-5500 to be more precise. I got the latest version of your plug-in and asio4all latest version too, 2.9 beta... Anyway, my laptop has a conexant hd audio chip, and my tests have been through using the asio4all, windows default and conexant hd in the pureaudio plug-in settings as output. When I use the windows default and conexant hd, I have no problems whatsoever switching songs, but when I use the asio4all, I get some sort of hick-up of the song that's actually playing and then the next song starts. In other words switching songs is not smooth but with some breaking sound of the song currently playing when using the asio4all as output. I even tried the asio4all, stable version 2.8 and the same problem persisted. I do not think the problem is with the pure audio plug-in, bur rather with asio or some configuration settings I have to tweak. I also played around with settings in pure audio, such as increasing the buffer etc, but no solution. Note that so far I have been using the pc for playing mp3's and not anything more complicated such as dts tracks....

I would also want to know if there would be a difference in audio quality if I use the conexant hd and not asio4all, I mean would it still be bitperfect or resampling would take place, same question goes for using windows default, probably I seem a little confused, but if you can help I would greatly appreciate it...

Thanx in advance.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    When I use the windows default and conexant hd, I have no problems whatsoever switching songs, but when I use the asio4all, I get some sort of hick-up of the song that's actually playing and then the next song starts. In other words switching songs is not smooth but with some breaking sound of the song currently playing when using the asio4all as output.

This is a known problem that occurs on some systems. Unfortunately i do not have a solution for it at this moment. Fixing this requires changes to MP itself that will most likely create a whole lot of other problems.

I would also want to know if there would be a difference in audio quality if I use the conexant hd and not asio4all, I mean would it still be bitperfect or resampling would take place, same question goes for using windows default, probably I seem a little confused, but if you can help I would greatly appreciate it...

There's only one way to find out if playback is really bitperfect and that is to connect a multichannel receiver and play a DTS file. When using the conexant hd it will most likely be not bitperfect. Same goes for windows default.

However with ASIO4ALL bitperfectness is not guaranteed either for all devices. The device drivers or even the hardware may still cause resampling or other changes.

tani

Portal Member
    May 15, 2008
    Tirana
    Home Country
    Thanx

Symphy,

Thanx for your prompt reply, although bad news is that this issue can't be fixed I still can live with pureaudio using the conexant hd out since I still find it way better than the bass and dshow player.
    The good side is that these sort of issues can hopefully be fixed in mp2 since I read that you are working with the music module there.

Also one more thing I noticed, while using sonique visualizations, I was getting a black screen, until I chose in the configuration settings not to display artist info. Is that because my video card needs to be better?

Thanx again,

Keep up the good work you have done so far, you and the other developers ........ have to be admired. ;)

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Symphy,
    Thanx for your prompt reply, although bad news is that this issue can't be fixed I still can live with pureaudio using the conexant hd out since I still find it way better than the bass and dshow player.
    The good side is that these sort of issues can hopefully be fixed in mp2 since I read that you are working with the music module there.
    Yep the devteam is determined to make sure MP2 does not suffer from these kind of issues.

Also one more thing I noticed, while using sonique visualizations, I was getting a black screen, until I chose in the configuration settings not to display artist info. Is that because my video card needs to be better?
    It's not your video card. This feature currently does not work properly with all visualizations. Fixing this however will mean a major overhaul of the whole visualization support.

Keep up the good work you have done so far, you and the other developers ........ have to be admired. ;)

Well, it keeps us off the streets :D

tani

Portal Member
    May 15, 2008
    Tirana
    Home Country
    Hi, again,

I gave Reclock a try and seems to work fine. So I do not use Asio4All but have installed Reclock which uses the kernel renderer to take over the windows default wave out and/or direct sound. So far I noticed great improvement in quality while playing music, seems like music is playing from a commercial CD-player, do not feel that muddy/booming bass beat I was hearing before, I read because windows default renderer forces resampling of sound from 44.1 khz to 48 khz, degradation occurs. Even in switching songs I do not get a breaking hickup any more, however I am still getting a hickup when using the internal bass player with Reclok. Anyway, I use your plug-in together with Reclock, seem to do fine, no issues yet, not sure about more extensive use, something might come up, but so far I am happy with the music quality. I just wanted to let you know about this in case you might find use in implementing Reclock since it is also free....just thinking...Reclock also shows in MediaPortal configuration as an optional renderer in movies and DVD section, but I find it not useable for DVDs with 5.1 DD or DTS soundtracks as I was getting no sound, not even for DVDs ripped to hard disc, so I instead use Cyberlinks PowerDVD Renderer for audio in DVDs....

Also, Symphy, by the way, since you are working on the music module for MP2, I just wanted to point out , that I would love to see the ability to cycle through visualizations and not have to always see the same viz. or have to enter settings every time you want to switch viz. Also why in music there is just skipping ahead 5, 10 ... sec. and not fastforwarding ... Anyway, I have no idea if you are developing in the aspect of these, but just hoped that if I mentioned my sugestions to any of the developers directly, they might be heard.

Take Care.

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Tani!

I never worked with Reclock before, but i have the same Hickups! Now i have a few questions: Does Reclock work with Vista 32 and is this the right Downloadlink?

Best Regards
    Helios

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi, again,

I gave Reclock a try and seems to work fine. So I do not use Asio4All but have installed Reclock which uses the kernel renderer to take over the windows default wave out and/or direct sound. So far I noticed great improvement in quality while playing music, seems like music is playing from a commercial CD-player, do not feel that muddy/booming bass beat I was hearing before, I read because windows default renderer forces resampling of sound from 44.1 khz to 48 khz, degradation occurs. Even in switching songs I do not get a breaking hickup any more, however I am still getting a hickup when using the internal bass player with Reclok. Anyway, I use your plug-in together with Reclock, seem to do fine, no issues yet, not sure about more extensive use, something might come up, but so far I am happy with the music quality. I just wanted to let you know about this in case you might find use in implementing Reclock since it is also free....just thinking...Reclock also shows in MediaPortal configuration as an optional renderer in movies and DVD section, but I find it not useable for DVDs with 5.1 DD or DTS soundtracks as I was getting no sound, not even for DVDs ripped to hard disc, so I instead use Cyberlinks PowerDVD Renderer for audio in DVDs....
    Am not (yet) familiar with Reclock, but sounds like something i need to check out.

Also, Symphy, by the way, since you are working on the music module for MP2, I just wanted to point out , that I would love to see the ability to cycle through visualizations and not have to always see the same viz. or have to enter settings every time you want to switch viz. Also why in music there is just skipping ahead 5, 10 ... sec. and not fastforwarding ... Anyway, I have no idea if you are developing in the aspect of these, but just hoped that if I mentioned my sugestions to any of the developers directly, they might be heard.
    Take Care.

At this point nobody has even thought yet about how vizs should be supported in MP2, but i'll take this idea into account. I know this idea has been discussed before on this site for mp1 (long time ago).

The skipping behaviour is basically a quick temporary solution that became permanent somehow :) Personally i never use it anyway, but i agree it can be done better.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hello Tani!

I never worked with Reclock before, but i have the same Hickups! Now i have a few questions: Does Reclock work with Vista 32 and is this the right Downloadlink?

Best Regards
    Helios

That link must be correct, but don't know about vista...

tani

Portal Member
    May 15, 2008
    Tirana
    Home Country
    Hello,

Sorry I haven't had time to check the thread during these last couple of days, but Helios, your download link seems right; however, I downloaded Reclock from this link, here you can also get earlier versions, even the stable one (1.6): Free-Codecs.com :: Download ReClock DirectShow Filter 1.8.2.3 : ReClock DirectShow Filter gets rid of jerky playback of AVI and MPEG files

I am sorry I can't help with Vista since I do not have much experience with it, I guess you should give it a try, I believe it will fix your hickup problem, too. If it does work, please comment on the music quality.

By the way, it also works with bass player without hickup (music playback quality doesn't seem as good as with pure audio and I think that's expected). I found out I was getting hickups with bass player even after installing Reclock because I was using Asio4All with bass player. Good Luck!

Symphy, I can't say nothing but thank you for the quick and helpful replies. I wish it all works for the best in MP2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom