Home screen looks like a barcode - blue and black! (1 Viewer)

montango

Portal Member
December 21, 2007
Home Country
Romania Romania
Hello,

I just installed mediaportal and it went fine, but as I start the program I can't see the home screen, as about half of it is missing, there are a lot of black vertical stripes, some thin but some thick and no text is visible; it looks like a barcode. I tries to change the skin but I get a strange error message about a file "user32.dll" that has been moved, because the DLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX" occupies an address reserved for the System Windows DLL's. (I'm sorry guys, my notebook has a german windows on it and the message is in german; as I don't understand the message my translation might not be accurate, but I hope somebody has already seen something like this...) Anyway, this is a secondary problem, the main one is that the standard skin (BlueTwo) is not showing correctly.

I can still point with the mouse and click, and the skin reacts, but the black stripes persist, and I don't know what I'm doing since I cannot read any text because of the black stripes. Reinstalling the program didn't help.

I hope you know what I can do to make the program work. I have an older laptop but quite powerful (Pentium 4 2GHz, 768MB RAM), Windows XP SP2,...

Thank you in advance!

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello montango,

have you installed the .net Framework 2.0 ?

-level20peon

EDIT: I guess you utilize an onboard sound-card ? If so:
    Have you installed the Windows update KB935448 ? If so, uninstall it. If you don't have installed it, yet install this patch. If it still doesn't work download the latest driver for your onboard sound device (uninstall everything installed for it before and reboot).

afcouling

December 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have a similar problem. At the menu screen, there are a series of black verticle lines, of varying widths, obscuring my view.
    I do have .net framework 2.0 installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

montango

Portal Member
    December 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Romania Romania
    Hi level20peon,
    thanks for your quick answer. I actually had .net framework 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 installed, but I repaired the 2.0 version. I also downloaded the patch you mentioned and the sound driver. The .DLL problem is gone (but I think it was rather related to Cam UnZip - the program that I use to unzip files, because it occured for all .zip files, not only with the skins)

The stripes persist, even after updating, repairing, reinstalling.. They are always the same, independent of the skin. What could be the problem?

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Forgive me. i am a newbie. exactly which details do u require?
    i use windows xp home sp2.

Hardware setup, driver versions, firmware revisions.

The .DLL problem is gone

Nice.

The stripes persist, even after updating, repairing, reinstalling.. They are always the same, independent of the skin. What could be the problem?

Have you tried different driver versions of your video card ? Sometimes older versions work better than new ones.

-level20peon

montango

Portal Member
    December 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Romania Romania
    I never updated the driver for the video card. Is this the same as the graphic card? In this case, it is called Mobility Radeon, and I looked on the web for new drivers, but there are 10 such cards or so, I don't know which is mine.
    The driver I am curretly using is 6 years old, version 6.13.10.6015
    I did systemsteuerung->hardware->gerätemanager->grafikkarte to get these informations, I tried to update it directly (there is button for that), it doesn't find anything.

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I never updated the driver for the video card. Is this the same as the graphic card?

Yes, most english speaking people don't use the expression "graphic card" rather than "video adapter".

I did systemsteuerung->hardware->gerätemanager->grafikkarte to get these informations, I tried to update it directly (there is button for that), it doesn't find anything.

This built in windows function sucks anyway ;)

Download Everest and go to "display -> GPU". You can see what video adapter you have built in there.

-level20peon

montango

Portal Member
    December 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Romania Romania
    Thanks for your answer.
    Everest shows "ATI Mobility Radeon (M6)" but on the www.ati.com page there is a list of different versions, all of the kind X1800... or 9600.. no M6. So I still don't know which is mine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom