Completed HomeTheatreSolutions in wiki (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    HomeTheatreSolutions in wiki

What is the biggest problem for someone, who is building his first HomeTheatre Solution?

"Bloody hell! Which hardware should i buy?" :confused:

We now have a quite huge community with very experienced users :)
    In the forums we have very useful informations allready. The problem is (as always) to find this informations when you need em.

The idea is now to store all the info in the wiki, in a new section i have created today.

In this section we have various categories to get a very nice and clear structure to store all our wisdom.

Now for every piece of hardware we will create a new subpage which will then contain:
    • technical specifications
    • tips and tricks
    • useful links (maybe to a forum thread about it)
    • and testimonials from various users

An example how it should look can be found ::here::

For all of you, who want to show their ultimate HTPC Solution, we have the Showroom.
    On the showroompage we will have a list of these HomeTheatre Solutions (named by the user), and subpages where the users can describe their systems, the work they have done and show photos.

What do we need to get all of this done?
    1. basic structure:has allready been created.
    2. constand expanding and maintaining: thats where we need ALL of you!
      everyone who does not know a thing about the wiki and needs a helping hand, just has to post his question as a reply here. we will help you :)

i am sure that this wonderful community can create something realy great there!!!
    :D

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi,

This is a great list, but I've got one small thing to add.

When I got serious about setting up an HTPC, one of the biggest problems I had was input peripherals. An old-school USB keyboard had obvious limitations - being tethered to the machine and rather ugly when not in use. Plus I still needed a pointing device. So I had a logitech wireless mouse but it only worked within a meter and a half of the computer so that was pointless. Then I added to it a Logitech Rumblepad 2 and wrote an autohotkey script to allow me to use it as a mouse. This worked fine, but I had three input devices, none of which was particularly satisfying.

Eventually I began looking at multimedia keyboards with touchpads or trackballs built in, but most were crazy expensive, large, often ugly, and some were still restricted to a couple of meters from the system.

Finally out of sheer luck I found this Amazon.com: Playstation 3 Cordless MediaBoard Keyboard: Video Games It is a simple keyboard with touchpad meant for a PS3. The guys at CircuitCity (naturally) didn't know anything about it or whether it would work with Windows XP, but I took a chance for $35 USD. It works perfectly! It is small, stylish, and has all the functionality I need in input devices. I was able to replace my other three input devices with this simple one that works from nearly anywhere in my small house and operates on two AA batteries.

Not as glamorous as some of the other pieces, but absolutely essential to my ongoing HTPC experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom