How about working scheduling? (1 Viewer)

MrWorf

Portal Pro
August 15, 2006
Consider this...

- You want to record every episode of Simpsons.
- The show is shown on two channels
- The show is sent several times a day but not every day and not always at the same time. The schedule looks something like this:
Channel 1: monday->friday at 5pm and 1am with the exception of thursday when it's 6pm and 11pm. Saturday->sunday 9am & 8pm.
Channel 2: monday->friday at 9pm, saturday->sunday 6am

So, you enter the EPG, find an episode of Simpsons on channel 1 and tell MP to record it every time no matter which channel that is showing it. Happily, you turn of the screen and go on vacation for a week or so.

When you come back, you find the following:

MP has...
- recorded most of the Simpsons episodes from channel 1
- recorded some other show (or part of it) that was shown at the same time as simpsons usually runs.
- recorded whatever channel 1 showed when channel 2 shows simpsons

Basically, MP is like a poor VCR and the EPG isn't used to the extent one would expect. What's the point of a fancy EPG with lots of ways to record a show, if it only means that MP uses the timetable at that very moment to setup a recording rule.

Coming from MCE, you're used to be able to do this AND have it working as well. I can't believe that no one else finds this VERY annoying and utterly useless at times.

I haven't tried the TV Server but since this behavior has been in TV 0.2 for ages now, I doubt that it will be any better.

Yes, this is a rant, but I believe that this is a vital functionality for a HTPC of any kind.

December 28, 2005
Sydney
Home Country
If you felt that this needed to be discussed there are less derogative ways.

Basically, MP is like a poor VCR ...

Coming from MCE, you're used to be able to do this AND have it working as well. I can't believe that no one else finds this VERY annoying and utterly useless at times.

... I doubt that it will be any better

May I suggest you go back to MCE if you’re unhappy?

Or maybe start to edit some code so that it can be fixed?

You need to remember that this is a FREE community and people spend the FREE time coding MP.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    You're right MrWorf, it is a vital function...

I can completely understand when something goes wrong and you need to complain about it, but please give us some more information so we can work towards fixing it or maybe point you to an existing solution.

What version of MediaPortal are you using? 0.2.2.0 ? With or without SVN ?

Help us help you :)

Cheers,

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I haven't tried the TV Server but since this behavior has been in TV 0.2 for ages now, I doubt that it will be any better.

I second your request.

I am using the latest SVN of TV-Engine 3 where scheduling doesn't work either.

Example:
    - Show X airs Saturday on 5:55am
    - I navigate to the EPG in MediaPortal and select _THIS_ show
    - I select "advanced record"
    - I choose "record every week at this time"
    (This show airs every day _AROUND_ this time where Saturday's episode is repeated but I just want the "original" from Saturdays)

Being kind of naive I waited some days and then had a look on my HDD. There where not only episodes from ALL iterations but also some episodes which where recorded twice.

So I had a look at the database of the TV-Server. Although I just selected ONE recording method there where several entries. One entry statet "record Show X on Saturday 5:55am". Another entry contained "record Show X every Saturday on 5:55am ". At least this explains why the show was recorded twice on Saturday but NOT why it was recorded EVERY day.

I will continue to monitor the behaviour of the schedule but all I can say at this moment is that it definitely is NOT working like it should be.

-level20peon

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    I have scheduled several shows(every day with TVE3 & MP 0.2.2.0+SVN) & they're all (almost, back 2 back with same "show name" doesn't). Please attach logs to your post with when it goes wrong & describe it point for point so we can reproduce it.
    Also update your post with comp specification etc so we can reproduce as exact as possible.

Regards
    Roy

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    I have like you scheduled several shows every day like record on this channel every week, every time on this channel, every time on all channels & they all work.
    The only combination not working so far here is back to back recordings(like 19:00 -> 19:30(name a) & 19:30 -> 20:00(name a)) on same channel using record everytime on this channel(but now it is bedtime, i almost can't read what i write :p ).

Regards
    Roy

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok,

I will monitor the exact behaviour over the next week and post detailed information afterwards.

-level20peon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom