How are we supposed to handle DVD-extras? (1 Viewer)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I'm currently ripping some boxsets I picked up last week, and they have some extra material that I would like to have available aswell, but thetvdb.com for some weir reason does not want people to add DVD-extras to the database, so is there a good way to handle this?

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    You can just name them Season 0 Episode (random number) and it should import fine under extras
    I personally use Season 0 Episode <Seasonnumber> + 2 digit incremental number, so for instance, extras from Season 3 would be:
    Showname - S0E301 - Delete Scenes Part 1.avi
    Showname - S0E302 - Interview with hot chick.avi

(The ep title will get picked up, and they will show up under specials. If you want them inlined into the seasons you can also manually set the respective fields in the database (actually they might be locked, im not entirely sure, I personally don't care much TBH))

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ah, so My TVSeries imports them even though they're not in the DB at Thetvdb.com?

Cool.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Yes. Slight problem is that it will keep trying to find data for them at every import (but obviously fails)......its bothering me a bit as it slows down the import quite a bit. Maybe we'll have to look into finding a solution for that.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ok, thank you. Just throwing out a suggestion for that problem here, what if we greated some sort of "code" that one could put into the filename that blocks the plugin from atempting to get data on it?

Say I have the Pilot for Buffy the Vampire Slayer The Motion Comic, if I name it

Buffy the Vampire Slayer The Motion Comic S00E01 - Pilot (*extra*).mkv

Or something like that, My TVSeries recognized the (*extra*) part and that stops it from trying to update.

I'm no programmer, and have no idea how hard this will be, and if it's possible, just a suggestion :)

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Adding your own "Season 00" episodes is NOT a good idea. Season 0 is already used in thetvdb.com. So that means that there may already be an episode "3" of season "00" on thetvdb, which would conflict if you had your own made-up s00e03. If you MUST use season 0, then make your episode numbers really high - say, starting at 100 - to avoid conflicts.

gilberti69

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Cornwall
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not sure where u get the idea that the tvdb doesn't allow did extras, that's pretty much what series 00 is for - take a look at s00 for red dwarf.

Imzadi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 18, 2008
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: How are we supposed to handle DVD-extras?

DVD extras, which never aired, do not belong in the database. Some people do add them, and most of the time they will be deleted. Doesn't mean, if you found some, that they won't be deleted as soon as a moderator sees them. If people would add every DVD extra from every DVD release is would be a mess, just like Red Dwarf is. I guess I'll have to have a look at it.

http://www.thetvdb.com/wiki/index.php/Special_Episodes

Lehm

Portal Member
    September 13, 2009
    I've recently been asking this same question. I searched and this is the most recent thread I was able to find. Please let me know if there is more up to date info.

Instead of putting them in season 0 or putting extra at the end, would it be possible to just have it recognize a new token such as Ex?

For example this is how I name my episodes. SeriesName_S01E01
    So extras would become. SeriesName_S01Ex01

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom