How Can I Cache Multiimage PNG graphics? (1 Viewer)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I know that MP caches PNG files, but does it cache ALL folders and subfolders in the Skins folder? What folders are cached?

I want to use a number of png files in a multiimage control, where should I store them?

I tried putting 29 MB of PNG files in a subfolder in Animations but it made no difference to the packedgfx files sizes.

Then I tried adding them to a folder in the UserData Thumbs folder. Still no change to packedgfx.

Do I have to enable a setting somewhere? I have animations turned on.

Sorry if I am missing the obvious!

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    First of all: 29 MB pngs are a lot for people with onboard graphic card with only 128 MB. If you would put those into the cache folder, MP would be absolutely no responsive on machines with this graphic cards...

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks for the reply Catavolt.

I would never put that much in cache. I just used those as a test to prove that they were not being cached.

So MP does not cache pngs in animations by design? Makes sense. I know you use a few for PureVision. And I was planning to do a similar thing just putting a couple of small jpgs in the animations folder. But as they loop they do use up some memory, so I thought maybe if they were pngs and cached they might not. Sillly me!

Once they have all been loaded in memory, they don't appear to increase memory any more as they loop. Also, when I navigate to other screens, the memory does get partially cleared. When I navigate back to the multiimage screen the memory used is less than it was when I left that screen, but more than it was when I first entered it.

In summary, multiimage doesn't seem to cause memory problems as long as you use only a few small jpgs. Is that right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom