How do I surf the internet with MP? (1 Viewer)

lowcrust

Portal Member
January 1, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
This might be a really stupid question but I've actually read through most of the FAQ's and manuals here and browsed the forums quite extensivly the last day to find an answer to this (but without luck).

I added the My Programs plugin and put FireFox.exe in the list. But first of all I would like to somehow surf within MediaPortal and secondly when FireFox launches the focus remains on MP and doesn't allow me to surf outside of MP either (unless I close the program).

ANY help or guideance along the way would be greatly appriciated!

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    There are a couple of MP plugins that allow an intergrated webbrowser. Unfortunately I do not believe there are being kept up to date.

(Slightly OT: I myself would love a way to intergrate Opera into MP - as Opera has a great zoom function, which is a must have for web browsing on a 40" (1080p) screen from the sofa!

IE7 and Firefox have zoom functions/plugins, but neither seem half as useable as opera...

other than that im not too fond of opera though :D)

TritonT

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I use Opera in kiosk mode since none of the plugins work.

Firstly I skinned Opera's kiosk mode to match the colours used in Replicant. Then used Multishortcut to place a Browser menu item in Home (with a suitable hover image), sending /kioskmode /kioskbuttons /kioskspeeddial /kioskwindows as Arguments to get it looking how I want it. Then I setup SpeedDial in Opera for the 9 website I visit most often. Finally I remapped a few of Opera shortcut keys.

This is the by far best solution I have found so far. Main problem being that there is a really annoying bug in MediaPortal at the moment that stops any external app from appearing onscreen after My TV has been running.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    to be honest.
    if you want to browse the web, you should close MediaPortal and start your favorit Webbrowser.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I strongly disagree!
    I think MP's goal should be to never have to be closed.

You should be able to have a Windows environment with a pink background, cyan icons and orange text - and never ever notice it.

Because all you want do do, you are able to do from your HTPC-software.

(Not saying it is realistic - but a great goal)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Never said it was :)
    Only trying to point out that it can have more functions than "just" media like music and movies. (Although this is the most important function for sure).
    There are many plugins that are non-media related - many of them popular. The ability to browse the Internet via MediaPortal is one of the functions I believe many like.

Other things MP is not:
    - Alarm clock
    - Game console (tetris, sudoku)
    - Mail client
    - RSS client for news and weather
    ... but we like 'em :)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Never said it was :)
    Only trying to point out that it can have more functions than "just" media like music and movies. (Although this is the most important function for sure).
    There are many plugins that are non-media related - many of them popular. The ability to browse the Internet via MediaPortal is one of the functions I believe many like.

Other things MP is not:
    - Alarm clock
    - Game console (tetris, sudoku)
    - Mail client
    - RSS client for news and weather
    ... but we like 'em :)
    the Webbrowser plugins which are around are nice to play around.
    but in the longrun you will close MediaPortal and launch your favorit webbrowser after some time.

lowcrust

Portal Member
    January 1, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I installed the webbrowser plugin found on this site. There's a few glitches for sre but I see no reason why they couldn't be fixed (like a few keys on the keyboard don't work (reserved for other shortcuts?)). I cannot change window size or the plgin will only flicker. But if I start in fullscreen mode it works OK. Personaly I need some kind of browser connection (nothing fancy, just some basic browsing) for my media center setup to work the way I've inteded it. So hopefully I'll be able to get it up and running satisfactory and just almost. satisfactory as is... =)

Will look into the other tips given in this thread asap. Thanks a lot guys, really appriciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom