How does media portal compare with Vista Media Center, DVD Lobby, or MyMovies? (1 Viewer)

kenp2600

Portal Member
December 11, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello, I'm new to the forum and to Media Severs/Software in general. I've got the itch to build a nice HTPC and put my DVD collection on it. I've been doing some research on the web over the last few weeks and have looked at Cinemar's DVDLobby, MediaPortal, Vista Media Center, and I'm installing MyMovies on the Vista machine now to see how it looks. It seems like every system has people who love it or hate it and there is a ton of info to support each case as usual.

So far, I like what I'm reading about MediaPortal, but was wondering that if anyone has tried some or all of the systems I'm looking at, if they could provide some feedback based on what they found and/or decided.

I want to get started building my dedicated computer, and then start loading my DVDs (because I am afraid that will be a long and gruelling process with several hundred DVDs to rip). I'm not even sure where to start with the DVD ripping, but that's another story.

I don't want to spend hours setting up one system, and then have regrets and have to redo everything I've done to start over with another system.

The fact that some of these are free, while others cost some money doesn't concern me as much as the fact that I want to make the right choice.

My main goal will be to watch my DVD movies from the hard disk. Ease of ripping the disks is a plus, as well as a really nice/accurate system of downloading coverart, movie info, etc. The ability to control this via a WiFi connection from my laptop or a touchscreen tablet PC would be cool.

Secondary would be the ability to record TV, but since I have Satellite and not cable, I would assume I'm stuck recording what I'm currently watching, so the features there would probably not need to be as robust (correct me if I'm wrong).

Lastly, I guess Music/MP3 capability, web browsing, etc. would be nice, but less important than DVD movies...

I welcome any advice or input. You can't feed me too much information. :)

Thanks!

Liquidtouch

Portal Pro
February 25, 2007
Victoria, BC Canada
Home Country
Canada Canada
I think all anyone can say is try all the apps your interested in. Ripping your DVD's to a hard drive and your chosen HTPC Frontend do not have to be done together. If you rip your dvds into any standard container (AVI, MKV, etc) any good front end (Media Portal, Myth TV etc) should be able to play them. Once you have all your movies ripped you can easily import them and try as many HTPC software solutions as you like without having to "start over".

My personal fav is MP. I have tried or demoed Myth TV, Windows MCE, Got All Media, Snapstream, Meedio. Media Portal in my opinion had the right mix of "ease of install" with "spit n' polish" (and that was almost 2 years ago, its come a long way since)

TV, DVD and MP3 integration and playback is not only all possible but its only the tip of the iceberg.

You can also integrate, Digital Pictures, Radio, Streaming Radio, Weather, RSS News Feeds, etc etc.

Cover Art and Descriptions for movies are imported via IMDB. This can be done manually using a remote and a front end and can also be configured from the setup screen to scan and import entire folders of movies.

Jeffrey

Frantid

Portal Pro
October 11, 2008
Home Country
Iceland Iceland
If you take a look at "moving pictures" or "my films" plugin, I think you will really like the possibilities with MP.

I would offer one piece of advice. Rip your movies to a physically separate disk or sets of disks, than from the disk you have your OS installed on. That way if you run into OS, codec, or driver problems rebuilding won't destroy your rips. Also invest in a good imaging software, install your base OS and all updates, drivers, etc. Take an image before you try out any frontends - restore the base before trying a different system, that way your testing of one system won't interfere with the other.

kenp2600

Portal Member
December 11, 2008
Home Country
Thanks for the great info and tips guys.

Now I just have to figure out the best way to do my DVD rips.

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You might have a look at xbmc, too. Windows or Linux Version. Not that i wouldnt recommend MP but from what i have read it will also be a possible solution for you. As long as no TV support is needed. ( And no HD movies. Would work, but not perfect jet - or lets say unusuably with my setup. Strange video issues, might work perfect for you. )

As said before - i would recommend to take the time and test them all. Choose then.

splinty

Portal Member
    October 13, 2009
    Kurgan
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Thanks for the great info and tips guys.

Now I just have to figure out the best way to do my DVD rips.

Think about DVD remux, fellow! DVD already have poor quality (especially on 1080 panels) So any rips make it yet worse. So for me, i've converted all heaps of my DVDs in accurate mkv files without any quality lost (as i said i remuxed them).

Try free software makemkv.

alank

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2006
    NJ
    Home Country
    +1 for MakeMKV. I'm just starting with it but like what I see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom