How is TV Epg grabber supposed to work? (1 Viewer)

johnzered

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    TV-Server Version: RC 1 + usually latest SVN
    MediaPortal Version: RC 1 + usually latest SVN
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo wide
    Windows Version: Vista Home Premium SP1
    CPU Type: Intel C2D E8200
    HDD: Seagate 7200.11 500 GB
    Memory: 2 GB DDR2 667 Mhz
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H
    Video Card:
    Video Card Driver:
    Sound Card:
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Digital everywhere FloppyDTV HW Version 1.26.01, FW Version 1.4.0 - B52030
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
    1. TV Card Driver: 4.5.N
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec:
    MPEG2 Audio Codec:
    h.264 Video Codec:
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case: Antec Fusion V2
    Cooling:
    Power Supply:
    Remote:
    TV:
    TV - HTPC Connection: Sub-D

Can someone tell me how the TV Epg grabber in TV Server Configuration/TV Channels is supposed to work, because I don't understand it. Please see picture.

[Point B.]
    If you don't select anything in this list then I don't think that anything is being grabbed thats at least how it looks to me but if you select some channels then they are being grabbed, but what is the purpose of the checkbox in [Point A.] then?

Is it something funny going on or is it just me being stupid?

//johnzered

Attachments

• tvconfigepg.jpg
      tvconfigepg.jpg
      75.1 KB

richy759

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The way I think it works is that normally it grabs all the channels, and if you tick the box it grabs the channels that you have selected.
    Could be wrong though but this is how interpret it.

I use xmltv so I tick "store data only for selected channels" untick all the boxes (none button) and use the xmltv importer plugin.

Rich

johnzered

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Yes that's what I thought too but I clicked the none button and went to Manual Control and clicked the Refresh EPG button. Got the message that it will start shortly. Went to MediaPortal and looked at the epg=>empty. Waited a couple of minutes and looked at Manual Control still it stated the dvb card as idle went to TV Epg grabber and checked one channel (CANAL+ FIRST)
    went back to manual control and there I could see that epg grabbing started for channel CANAL+ FIRST after it had gone back to idle I went back to MediaPortal to look at the epg and then all channels were filled???

I looked in the log files (attached) and there it says: EPG: grabber initialized for 1 transponders..
    but a few rows later it says: Epg: card:1 received epg for 70 channels

So my conclusion is:
    -if you have nothing selected then nothing happens.
    -if you select one or more channels with the "store data only for selected channels" unchecked it recieves all channels epg data
    -if you have "store data only for selected channels" checked and check one channel then it grabs epg data only for that channel even if it takes pretty long time to do so

so the third option is the only one that works as expected, bug?

//johnzered

richy759

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Think i'm getting out of my depth now.
    So when you ran that test did you had "store data only for selected channels" ticked?
    If so then I cannot explain what is happening, like I said, I use xmltv.

Sorry I can't help, hopefully someone else can.
    Rich

johnzered

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi,

I will try to explain it again, I did three tests:
    Test 1: no channels checkboxes ticked and "store data only for selected channels" NOT ticked (see image1)
    Test 2: Just selected CANAL+ FIRST and left the "store data only for selected channels" NOT ticked (see image2)
    Test 3: selected channel subtv and checked "store data only for selected channels" (see image3)

Only the third test did what I expected, that is grabbed the epg data for channel subtv. Test 1 did nothing and Test 2 grabbed epg data for all channels (which I thought Test1 should have done too). Since I didn't have "store data only for selected channels" ticked in Test 1 and Test 2 they should come up with the same result (get epg data for all channels) but they don't.

I also just noticed that under Radio Channels/radio epg data grabber there's no such thing as "store data only for selected channels" it would be nice with some consistency here.

Thanks for trying to help!

//johnzered

Attachments

• epg1.jpg
      epg1.jpg
      74.7 KB
    • epg2.jpg
      epg2.jpg
      78.5 KB
    • epg3.jpg
      epg3.jpg
      74 KB

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    If the channel is 'ticked' then when:

IDLE EPG GRAB, only those channels 'ticked' are used to tune into for EPG grabbing.

TIMESHIFT EPG, when the 'ticked' channel is timeshifting then EPG data grabbed otherwise it isn't for unticked channels.

When "store data only for selected channels" is ticked then either of the above grab scenarios may grab data for more channels than the user has selected 'ticked' , so any extra data is discarded.

ie in the UK every single channel carries all EPG data for every channel available . i have a couple of weak signal MUX's which can give corupt data so I don't 'tick' these for EPG grab but have "store data only for selected channels" unticked as i wish to store ALL EPG data that is grabbed for all channels if found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom