How much "power" for encoding ? (1 Viewer)

SPYcorp

Portal Member
February 17, 2005
System: Asus Pundit-R (ATI9100 chipset)
CPU : PIV 1,7 GHz
Memory : 256 MB (-64MB for shared Mem)
HDD: 160GB Spinpoint 5400rpm

Well. Since 1.3.0pre there is a build in encoder.
How much more RAM will i need, to get aceptable encodingspeed?
Adding just 1x512MB or better going up to 1GB ?

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    cpu is key to encoding, not ram.

a 1,7 ghz p4 is rather slow by today's standards, but it all depends on what you call acceptable speed and which settings you use to encode.

I personally (although I do it manually) downscale all my files to 512x384 (3/4 PAL) which significantly speeds up encoding for me and also allows me to select a lower bitrate without getting artifacts.

At the end of the day, it all depends on what you call acceptable (which depends on how often you do it and how patient you are).

Not a clear answer I know, but I hope it helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

I am trying to play LiveTV video within RadioTime plug-in and can't get any video channels to play. All the radio channels play fine. Most of the video files are Windows Media Video v8/9/10 I made sure both wmv3 wmv10 codecs in LAV and FFDshow are checked. I see that RadioTime is now a new software company called TuneIn How do I find...
    I am trying to play LiveTV video within RadioTime plug-in and can't get any video channels to play. All the radio channels play...
    I am trying to play LiveTV video within RadioTime plug-in and can't get any video channels to play. All the radio channels play...
    Replies
    Views
    The free is free.
    The free is free.
    Hello guy's. i want make my own TVE Server. the goal is to make one system without screen / keyboard / mouse. and maybe can be...
    Replies
    Views
    They are glued to the board with double sided adhesive tape. Tape that is used to mount mirrors or similar with foam rubber between the two adhesive sides. No vibrations will make it to the board and the tape really is strong enough.
    They are glued to the board with double sided adhesive tape. Tape that is used to mount mirrors or similar with foam rubber between...
    Hi. I like to show you my HTPC project build in a drawer. As I wanted the HTPC to be as invisible as possible I build it into a...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 Media Portal crash DE
    AW: Media Portal crash Hi. I've got also trouble with mscorwks.dll, but on Win7. Did not crash but gives peaks of 100% CPU Load every now and then without notable reason. Especially when TVSeries is active but also on other MP components...
    AW: Media Portal crash Hi. I've got also trouble with mscorwks.dll, but on Win7. Did not crash but gives peaks of 100% CPU Load...
    MediaPortal Version: MP 1.2.1 Final MediaPortal Skin: Avalon 0.9.6.1 Windows Version: Windows XP Sp3 32bits CPU Type: Athlon 7850...
    Replies
    Views
    I don't think it's worth it yet. You get only 4 channels in HD. In my opinion, you only get extra interactivity and I don't need that. + There are no 'extra channels' I realy like. I'm pretty happy with the analog channels.
    I don't think it's worth it yet. You get only 4 channels in HD. In my opinion, you only get extra interactivity and I don't need...
    Hi all, My first time asking a question on this forum (and believe me, it won’t be the last) I want to build my own htpc but...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom