How to access your MP while it's being used by the wife - Remote desktop (1 Viewer)

jmarc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi all,

Not sure where this post should go ...

Anyway, just wanted to let you that it is possible to open a SECOND user session in your Windows 7 MP machine while it's being used by someone else (ie wife or kids). So now you can continue to do these VERY important adjustments to your beloved computer without upsetting anyone in the house ;)

Have a look at this:

How to Enable Concurrent Sessions for Remote Desktop in Windows 7 RTM

Obviously you need a second computer to access the MP machine. From there, you open a second session and then can run performance monitor, check the logs etc etc. See screen dump.

Have fun!

Jean-Marc

Attachments

• Sysmon.PNG
      Sysmon.PNG
      117.4 KB

jmarc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Apparently it's also possible in Vista:

Missing Remote

But I haven't tried it. Dunno about XP.

I'm using the MULTI option in Win 7, that allows me to open the second session under the same username as the main session.

Cheers,

PS: one great application of this is to be able to encode video files in the second session and let this run in the background. Haven't tried this while recording though, too scared to stuff the recording up ;)

woddog

Portal Pro
    November 28, 2007
    Townsville, QLD
    Home Country
    Does anyone know of a good app that will allow you to do this if you don't happen to have MP installed on a PRO/Ultimate install?

I've got Home Premium and the Remote desktop server doesn't exist on this version.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    This may be obvious, but you must enable concurrent sessions on the HOST and not the CLIENT, right?

nikos1671

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Apparently it's also possible in Vista:

Missing Remote

But I haven't tried it. Dunno about XP.

I'm using the MULTI option in Win 7, that allows me to open the second session under the same username as the main session.

Cheers,

PS: one great application of this is to be able to encode video files in the second session and let this run in the background. Haven't tried this while recording though, too scared to stuff the recording up ;)

What is the MULTI options in win 7 and where i can find it?

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    It is explained on the link in the 1st post.
    Way down the page in one of the user comments if I recall correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom