how to configure Mediaportal with STB & Hauppauge 2250 /w Hauppauge MCE remote (1 Viewer)

Cable_m

May 19, 2011
Home Country
Canada Canada
Howdy,
First time setting up Mediaportal, looks like a very cool application but I can't get any channels to display from my STB through mediaportal. I've read other posts and understand that I should just have one channel since I'm using the s-video/rca input to the 2250 but I can't even get that one channel configured! When I try to manually add a channel, it wants the frequency and all this other info that I don't have and have no idea where I'd get it, then it says it's not mapped to any hardware.
I must be missing something.
Also I can't get the MCE remote (connected to the 2250 not USB) to work at all with MP, but that's another story.
Anyone have any ideas on how to set up the one channel I need?
Thanks

TLD

Portal Pro
October 26, 2007
Rainy Washington
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Do you have the 2250 set up as a hybrid card and did you tick the "tune QAM insted of ATSC" box at the top of the scan window, and scan both QAM and analog sides of the card? And was the set top box turned on?

I own this card too only i have the usb MCE remote.

EDIT: Just remembered reading on a forum somewhere that you will have to install all whole Hauppauge software package to get the remote you have working.

corporate_gadfly

Portal Pro
May 17, 2011
Home Country
Canada Canada
Howdy,
First time setting up Mediaportal, looks like a very cool application but I can't get any channels to display from my STB through mediaportal. I've read other posts and understand that I should just have one channel since I'm using the s-video/rca input to the 2250 but I can't even get that one channel configured! When I try to manually add a channel, it wants the frequency and all this other info that I don't have and have no idea where I'd get it, then it says it's not mapped to any hardware.
Also I can't get the MCE remote (connected to the 2250 not USB) to work at all with MP, but that's another story.
Anyone have any ideas on how to set up the one channel I need?
Thanks
Can't help you with the tuner (as I use Over The Air channels), however, I can't get the remote (connected to 2250 not USB) working either. If you figure out the answer, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Can't help you with the tuner (as I use Over The Air channels), however, I can't get the remote (connected to 2250 not USB) working either. If you figure out the answer, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
I apologize for the classic error reporting ----> "doesn't work". Would debug logging help?

Running with MP 1.2.0beta on win7 64.

I have so far tried running ir32 to not running it. In all likelihood having Hauppauge Remote checked in the MP config -> Remotes is probably only for remotes that connect via USB. At one point, with the Hauppauge Remote checked, I got the remote to move up and down for one or two clicks and then nothing. So, anyone else with the same remote (the one that connects to the back of the Hauppauge card and NOT to the USB) care to chime in.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi and welcome :)

I've read other posts and understand that I should just have one channel since I'm using the s-video/rca input to the 2250 but I can't even get that one channel configured!
    Not exactly true. You can set MP up with one channel per STB channel and use the blaster built into your 2250 to change the channel on the STB when you change channel in MP. That would be a much smoother experience than having only one channel or changing channels manually on your STB. A search of the forum should turn up some information on this.

When I try to manually add a channel, it wants the frequency and all this other info that I don't have and have no idea where I'd get it, then it says it's not mapped to any hardware.
    Delete those channels and do the following:

1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Expand the TV Servers node.
    3. Expand the <your computer name here> node.
    4. Select your first 2250 analog tuner.
    5. Click "add s-video channels".
    6. Rinse and repeat for the other analog tuner.

If you then go to the TV channels section you should see a handful of channels named like "CVBS#1 on 2". Those are your analog inputs. CVBS is composite, S-Video is S-Video etc. Use preview with trial and error to see which channel(s) have video and audio.

Have you set it up in MP config in the "remote" section?

corporate_gadfly

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Have you set it up in MP config in the "remote" section?
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not the OP so I don't want to hijack the tuning part of his question. However, from what I have read and experienced so far, the "remote" section of MP config, applies to USB remotes and not to the Hauppauge model that plugs in to the back of the Hauppauge card. It is an RC6 remote, but it is certainly not USB. Any help is appreciated.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    corporate_gadfly: In the case of Hauppauge, that section *does* generally apply to remotes that have an IR sensor that plugs into the back of the card. Perhaps what you're saying is that the particular remote is not supported? I would have thought it would at least be supported by the MCE remote section. If not then IRSS FTW...

corporate_gadfly

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    @corporate_gadfly: In the case of Hauppauge, that section *does* generally apply to remotes that have an IR sensor that plugs into the back of the card. Perhaps what you're saying is that the particular remote is not supported? I would have thought it would at least be supported by the MCE remote section. If not then IRSS FTW...
    I can certainly try IRSS when I get some time to tinker with it. However, if these IR remotes (ones that plug into the back of the card) do not have the capability to bring the system out of suspend, then why waste my time with IRSS. I might as well cut my losses and order another proper MCE remote with a USB transmitter. That way, I will be able to get suspend/power up operation properly.

Tallone

Portal Member
    October 7, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've actually had better luck using Hauppauge remotes than the various generic MCE ones.

I don't have a 2250, but with my Nova-T's, all I need to do is install the Hauppauge IR application and then enable the Hauppauge remote in MP Config. I've done this with both PCI and USB devices.

You shouldn't have to install the whole Hauppauge software suite to get the IR service - search for IR32.exe on the CD, thats all you should need.

AKAIK you can't do wakeup from suspend without a hilariously involved hardware hack, as the remote isn't a USB device (well on the PCI cards at least). :(

corporate_gadfly

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Tallone: thanks for the reply. I have IR32 running (I'm showing WinTV Remote Controller in the taskbar and IR.exe shows up under Processes). Under MP Config -> Remote -> Hauppauge, I have "Use Hauppauge Remote" checked. Given all of this, I can only get it to go up the first time and then nothing... I hear blips from MP but no menu movement. I enabled Extended Logging in the remote tab and it was sending zeros after the first time. Oh, well. I'll try to see if the remote works properly with WinTV.

No kdding, about the unholy hardware hack. That is, if you were referring to Wake on RC5

Regarding wake up events, I found this in the manual for my motherboard:

PME Event Wake Up
    Allows the system to be awakened from an ACPI sleep state by a wake-up signal from a PCI or PCIe de- vice. Note: To use this function, you need an ATX power supply providing at least 1A on the +5VSB lead. (Default: Enabled)

So, my plan of action is to install WinTV and get it fully operational and then try the sleep/wake up sequence and verify general correctness of the remote. If that test fails, then its going in the garbage, otherwise, I might decide to dedicate more time and persevere with this remote and possibly use IRSS to get it going.

Cable_m

May 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey, Thanks for all the reply's,
    Good info on the IR issues, if I ever get any video through MP, I'll work on the IR problem.
    I've finally got the channel set up for video from STB through RGB (not sure why it's called CVBS and not just
    RGB). My problem now is that when I pick TV on MP, it freezes and I have to physically power off the computer.
    It does display CVBS #1 over analog in the bottom corner so that's a little further. It won't preview anything either
    in the channel setup.
    I'm wondering if maybe it's conflicting with something from the WinTV7 install even though WinTV is not running?
    BTW, just as a test, I was able to get video through WinTV so I know the card is working with the STB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom