How to "fix" the Asrock 330HT remote with Mediaportal (1 Viewer)

yippie

January 7, 2010
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I bought the Asrock 330HT to replace my Popcorn C-200 that really sucks, and thought that installing MP would be a breeze with the built-in remote and all.
HAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, sure.
Only a few buttons worked, and choosing "General HID" in the setup didn't make it much better.
It may work better on Vista or W7, but I was running on XP, SP3 fully updated to comply with the "best" platform for Mediaportal.

After spending some time with the Mediaportal code, I've found a solution and a fix.

The problem is twofold.
First of all, the Asrock HID device is not recognized as a valid remote, because it's not listed in the XML file. That was an easy fix.
The file "eHome infrared Transceiver list XP.xml" in the MP data directory (usually C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal), contains a list of all VID/PID combinations checked. The Asrock device is not a USB device and doesn't have a VID/PID, so it's obviously not going to be found.
Checking the Device Manager in Windows, reveals a direct HID id that can be used.

Adding the line:
Code:
<transceiver deviceid="#*ntn0530&amp;col02"    name="Asrock Remote" />
to the XML file will let the MP code find your device.
Note that due to a lot of installation problems with the CIR driver on the Asrock, I may have gotten multiple instances of the HID devices, so the number "col02" above, may be different you your system. You can perhaps see that from the Device Manager, otherwise try with "col01", "col03" or something like that.

That should have done it, if it wasn't for the small detail, that the data coming out of the Asrock remote driver is not in the same format as the data from other HID devices, or, at least in the format that Mediaportal code expects.
So, I had to change the code in Remote.cs file to handle the correct format.

I've included it all in the attached ZIP file - a new RemotePlugins.dll, the source to Remote.cs and he eHome... XML file.

Please note that this was made for MP version 1.1.0 Beta. The DLL may or may not work on earlier versions.

To make the remote fully work, select both MCE remote and General HID in the Remote section of MP configuration. All buttons will now work, except for the "i" button that does not seem to send anything at all. You can even switch your 330HT on and off (standby) with the power button on the remote.

Have fun, and let me know how it works for you.

Attachments

• asrock remote fix.zip
    30.6 KB

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi - and welcome :)

Nice to see a (possibly) helpful first post :D
    This might be helpful for ASUS remote controls (and others) as well....

Hope you enjoy MP!

danzka

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 28, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: How to "fix" the Asrock 330HT remote with Mediaportal

I installed your fix as described, but the EPG button does not work (additional to the "i" button).
    Any idea what happens? I installed the MP Disaster Edition 24806...

All other buttons seems to work perfect now.

thx a lot for this fix!

edit:
    System: XP SP3 with all updates

usualsuspect

Portal Pro
    May 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

for me the asrock-330ht remote worked out of the box as mce-remote on win7 with latest svn.

yippie

January 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    danzka:
    The "info" button is not supported by the CIR driver from Asrock, and therefore does not work at all. There's no way to get that to work until the driver is updated/fixed (=never?).
    The other buttons work, but you may have to reassign them in the configuration.

usualsuspect: Are you sure? All buttons work? Even the "info" button? If so, there seem to be a new driver for Win7. Which unfortunately doesn't help much as some mediaportal stuff apparently only works on XP.

usualsuspect

Portal Pro
    May 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

yes I am quite sure. worked fine out of the box. I was happily surprised, too.
    what exactly do you mean with this:
    Which unfortunately doesn't help much as some mediaportal stuff apparently only works on XP.
    I didn't find any difficulties using vista or seven.

danzka

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 28, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

now I can confirm, too.
    on Win 7 all buttons of the remote works out of the box.

and, it's just the MP client on the asrock, I havn't any problems with Win 7

DBeck

Portal Member
    October 2, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I can confirm with a update to the CIR receiver driver ver:20091015 from Asrock Here & 64bit ver Here
    All buttons work, Even the "info" button on MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1 using Windows 7.

If Asrock have updated the driver for Win7 they might have updated the XP driver too.

The mistake i made was to only use the driver that came on the Asrock driver disk & not look for a updated driver onlinee.

Hope it helps

BrAtKo

Portal Member
    March 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    I can confirm with a update to the CIR receiver driver ver:20091015 from Asrock Here & 64bit ver Here
    All buttons work, Even the "info" button on MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1 using Windows 7.

If Asrock have updated the driver for Win7 they might have updated the XP driver too.

The mistake i made was to only use the driver that came on the Asrock driver disk & not look for a updated driver onlinee.

Hope it helps

Hi, I have installed this driver but "i" button and some others still does not work, I have tested it with ShowKey.exe utility.

DBeck

Portal Member
    October 2, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi, I have installed this driver but "i" button and some others still does not work, I have tested it with ShowKey.exe utility.

Is this using windows 7?

ShowKey.exe still shows nothing from the "i" info button for me, but works in MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1, I have the remote set to MCE remote in Mediaportal settings.

It would be helpful if you could fill in your "System Specification" under your profile it would let us know what system your using to better help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom