How to get rid of resonance frequency? (1 Viewer)

fabien44

Portal Pro
March 12, 2006
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.2
MediaPortal Skin: X-Factor
Windows Version: XP SP3
CPU Type: AMD X2 5600
HDD: 1To Hitachi Desktar
Memory: 3Go
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H v1.1
Video Card: ATI HD4550
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 10.6
Sound Card: Lynx L22
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: last
1. TV Card: Canal+ USB device twin tuner
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
MPEG2 Video Codec: SAF 5 - Cyberlink 10 for TV, ffdshow for video
MPEG2 Audio Codec: SAF 5 - ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: SAF 5 - Cyberlink 10
HTPC Case: Origen S14V
Remote: Gyration Air Music
TV: PDP Panasonic 51PX71E
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hello,
because of my small room, i have a reverb effect for one frequency when i listen to music. I would like to reduce it. I guess it's possible by software but how? Does MediaPortal provide ability to implement equilizer ot VST plugin or anything else to solve my listening problem?

Thanks

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: How to get rid of resonance frequency?

You won't be happy with a software solution which would only work at one specific place (to the centimeter exactly) in the room.
    If you're serious about that resonance and have high interests in proper bass performance you might want to google a bit for Helmholtz resonators.

Basically you use a software (like CARMA) to find out which specific frequency is too blame (depends on your room) and then calculate a box and opening size which works similar to a guitar body. Place that box anywhere in the room (behind the couch?) and it will eliminate just the resonance and you won't have to lower the bass energy output at all.

EDIT: If you're not talking about resonance but simple "hall" reflections: put more "soft" obstacles into the room. The goal is to have as few flat and plain surfaces as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom