How to hide Windows 7 (1 Viewer)

elhesse

Portal Member
August 3, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hey all,

With the new release of MediaPortal and my eventual switching from Windows XP to Windows 7 I wanted to be able to hide as much of Windows 7 as I was able to do with XP. Not only to make my HTPC look less like a computer running Windows as my own anal attempt to completely remove any signs I am running Windows. :D The quest lead me to the Internet, where else would I look. :D What did we do before the Internet? I found many sites that told how to remove parts of the logon/logout screens and messages, but not in one place. So I decided to create a document for myself so I would not have to start the search all over. I would like to share this document with the community thinking maybe others were trying the same thing. It's a little rough around the edges. Take a look, give a try if you like. I will try to answer any questions anybody may have, but there is no guarantee's any changes you make won't crash your system. Buyer beware.:eek: I tested on a VM and a none production system and have not had any problems. I just want to thank everyone involved with creating MediaPortal and letting everyone get a chance to use a great piece of software.

Good Luck
:D

Attachments

• backgrounddefault.jpg
    backgrounddefault.jpg
    7.9 KB
  • Hide Windows 7.pdf
    560.7 KB

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
November 16, 2006
Home Country
I can't open the doc. What did you use to create it and what version?

thanks

elhesse

Portal Member
August 3, 2009
Home Country
It's Office 2007 doc. I saved it as Word 97 doc. Try that see if it helps.

:oops:

elhesse

Portal Member
August 3, 2009
Home Country
Sure can, should have thought of that to begin with. :)

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: How to hide Windows 7

Thanks for instructions! I'll have a look at it tonight.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    What I'd really love is a way to remove the taskbar :)

I'm going to start playing around with Windows 7 Embedded some more once I'm done setting up my HTPCs with 1.1.0. Hopefully I can manage to make Mediaportal the shell. It should be possible.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What I'd really love is a way to remove the taskbar :)

That is possible. Just start mediaportal as the shell instead of the explorer. Go to the registry entry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell

and change it from explorer.exe to mediaportal (and remove other autostart of mp) & reboot. If you need to get back to your start menu, just ctr-alt-del and start the task manager. From there execute the (New Task) explorer.exe and your start menu will appear again.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ah cool, will have to test that out as soon as I'm done importing my 9231 episodes in MP TV Series :p

Do I just replace explorer.exe with "mediaportal", "mediaportal.exe" or the full "c:\program files\team mediaportal\mediaportal\mediaportal.exe"?

edit: Full path is needed and it works :)

Thank you.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Is there any way to launch the full explorer.exe from Mediaportal if one has started the HTPC with Mediaportal as the shell? I tried just running c:\windows\system32\explorer.exe but all that did was to launch windows explorer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom