How to increase video cache buffer ? (1 Viewer)

staticx

Portal Pro
March 22, 2009
Home Country
Israel Israel
Hi

Is there a way to define video cache size?
(on slow internet connections sometimes the video freeze to load the next frame...)

thanks.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is a directshow codec problem. Nothing in the plugin you can configure to change that.

staticx

Portal Pro
    March 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    are you sure? cause for example, at XBMC you can define the size of the video cache to preload before playing...

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have no idea how XBMC plays the files. It might always save them to disk before, or use something like VLC or MPC-HC as player. These two have their own source filter implementation, so they CAN change the buffer.
    This plugin is not responsible for playback, it only provides access to the urls and then builds the directshow graph with system filters, to play that url. This mean the cache would be a value of the filters used as source filter.

staticx

Portal Pro
    March 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    which filter Online Videos is using? ffdshow?
    maybe as you say, at the filter itself there will be an option to change the buffer

moryoav

Portal Pro
    December 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    And so the question remains, how do I know exactly which codec was chosen for a given file? is it written in a log somewhere?
    I was trying to watch a clip on YouTube, it was completely unwatchable, very choppy. Then I loaded the browser and watched the exact same clip - ran smoothly. So this is definitely a codec issue, we just need to figure out which one...

In most cases the graph will start with this filter:
    File Source (URL) Filter

What codec is used for playback totally depends on the file to play.

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You can try it with graphstudio.
    When you start mediaportal and graphstudio, there is an option to connect to a remote program

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I found out that the File Source (URL) Filter that is used on all http sources as source filter for the graph supports another interface that can be used to ask how much of the file to be played is already downloaded in memory. I implemented a way to use this information to delay the start of playback in MediaPortal until a percentage (configurable, default 2% now) is downloaded. This will be in the next version (0.20).

Users who are viewing this thread