How to monitor over-the-air signal quality (1 Viewer)

shindigo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi all - I use MediaPortal with over-the-air ATSC signals in an area that has spotty reception. Regularly I go up on the roof and re-position the antenna trying to improve my signal.

I would like to write an add-on to MediaPortal that can transmit the signal quality and errors in the tuner card to my phone.

I want to start with the server-side of the app that asks TV Server what the signal quality and error rates are and logs them.

I have done a little reading on DirectShow and filters and wanted to know if there is a way to tap into the MP filter graph and get out the signal quality and error rate from an external program or a plug-in.

I'm looking for some advice on where to start. I'm a professional C# programmer, so digging into existing code is not a problem. I have looked at some of the TVServer code, but having difficulty finding anything having to do with signal quality.

If you know of an existing app that does some or all of what I need, please let me know. I'm not looking to re-invent anything, just looking to make it easier for us over-the-air folks.

Thanks in advance -

Mike Parker

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    At first thought... the mytvtuningdetails.xml displays signal level and signal quality. You can get to it using the info menu (second info key-press) to view it. So that information is available. As far as phone utilities, I have no knowledge. There are a couple apps, and a utility for controlling/viewing TV via internet (I think) someone else would have to chime in.

just did a search for MPExtended WebMediaPortal ... hope there is something useful.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Frankly, I wouldn't recommend using a PC TV tuner strength/quality readings as a reference... however, if you only care about "ball-park" accuracy then I guess it would suffice at a push.

From a code perspective I would advise against hooking into the DirectShow graph. We don't expose it directly so you'd have to modify the TV library (refer to TvCardDvbBase.cs). Better would be to use the existing ITVCard interface functions for checking lock, strength and quality:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...Library.Interfaces/Interfaces/ITVCard.cs#L249

Note that TV Server constrains strength and quality to the range 0..100. Drivers can and do return values outside that range.

If you use the controller interface you can also check the discontinuity counter:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...gine3/TVLibrary/TvControl/Controller.cs#L1106

shindigo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks for the replies guys -

Thanks for the info about My Tuning Details - I never knew it was there. I have problems with the info button just flashing the first overlay and then going away, so it is a challenge for me to get to the second press, but managed it once today so was able to look at the info. Pity I can't move between channels which this display is showing.

No worries about the phone side of the utility - part of the reason for doing this is I want to write a non-trivial Android app and this seemed like a good one.

Regarding not using PC TV Tuner as a reference: can you recommend another portable device that can do it more accurately? Something I can take on the roof and hook directly to the antenna perhaps?

Thanks for the info about ITVCard and discontinuity counter. I will have a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom