Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am struggling to CDs. I have tried various options as follows

BASS engine - MP3 on HD OK, normal CDs OK, no DTS, normal CDs OK
inbuilt player - MP3 don't work, normal CDs OK, no DTS CDs

I installed AC3Filter and things changed

BASS engine - MP3 on HD OK, normal CDs OK, no DTS, normal CDs OK
inbuilt player - MP3 don't work, normal CDs OK, DTS CDs OK[/INDENT]

I have tried foobar outside MP but cannot get it to work on DTS CDs at all.

Any help would be most welcome

kevin939

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I just upgraded to MP 1 final and installed pureaudio but dts CDs have the same problem. I checked the settings and pureaudio is configured to use pureaudio on CDs

Any ideas anyone?

Brice

Portal Member
February 18, 2009
Home Country
France France
Hi
I am having the same problem playing DTS CDs through mediaportal.
I am no expert but i believe the problem comes from the fact that .cda files that are present on an audio cd are opened by default as though they were normal stereo files. It seems neither BAss player nor MP internal player nor PureAudio plugin can make the difference between a surround or a stereo file, which is why you only get static.

I for one have no clue altogether as to how to fix this.
The only solution i can think of would be some way to trick mediaportal into playing the dts cd through its DVD engine (software like powerdvd or windvd have no trouble playing the dts cds)

Cheers
Brice

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello guys,

I have no problem with PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS sources when I use AC3Filter as audio codec instead of the MP inbuilt Gabest decoders. You will of course need to appropriately configure AC3Filter to pass through all signals (in my case to SPDIF) and select AC3Filter for all audio decoders in the TV and DVD configuration section.

I will post a screenshot of the AC3 config page later.

Regards, HTPC_Sourcer

Brice

Portal Member
    February 18, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks for the quick reply, HTPC_Sourcer
    I have no problem with multi-channel either, EXCEPT when reading from a DTS encoded CD. Because the system recognizes it as an audio cd, it is not possible to use the proper codecs (the system will use the audio codecs, and I have found no way to tell the system to play .cda files through AC3Filter)
    Maybe I am missing something though

Cheers
    Brice

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Salut Brice,

Sorry, I didn't get it immediately. I never got across a DTS audio CD and had mentally connected it to DVD audio only.

The BASS player is obviously not programmed to play DTS coded audio. However the dshow software should in principle be able to do the job - provided that audio is routed through AC3Filter. It appears that the respective settings are hard-coded within MP, at last audio cannot be set like it can for TV and DVD. Maybe a dev can comment on this.

In the meantime you may consider to use an alternative player software that is capable of playing cda files. I've read that some people got it work with VLC Mediaplayer 0.7 (not with versions above 0.8 though). In this case an image was mounted with Deamon Tools and the image was selected by "Open medium/ Select Audio CD". Maybe this software can also diretly address the disc rather than the image.

Regards, HTPC_Sourcer

Brice

Portal Member
    February 18, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try.
    However, I was for the moment looking in some way to have audio cds be played through the dvd engine and codecs. Some way to trick MP into thinking that audio cds are actually dvds, which would solve the problem once and for all.
    Can you think of a way to do that maybe ?

Cheers
    Brice

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    However, I was for the moment looking in some way to have audio cds be played through the dvd engine and codecs. Some way to trick MP into thinking that audio cds are actually dvds, which would solve the problem once and for all.
    Brice,
    DVDs are recognized through header information and file extensions. Without ripping, changing file formats and burning on a DVD there is no way of letting any PC software treat this as a DVD instead of audio.

Regards, HTPC_Sourcer

Brice

Portal Member
    February 18, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks for the tips, and sorry for the delay in answering, I' ve been busy.

I tried this and that, still without success. Actually, I found it pretty much impossible to read a DTS encoded CD without using a DVD player software.
    So, unless someone can find a way to get CDS played through the DVD decoder in MP, I think we've pretty much had it

Thanks anyway
    Brice

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom