Ongoing How to reduce case fan speeds (1 Viewer)

Kian

Portal Pro
January 29, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi guys,

I just assembledmy htpc and am a bit disappointed from the noise comming for the CPU and case fans.
The PSU is almost inaudible(seasonic).

I have a ASUS M2A-VM HDMI mainboard and now i honestly dont know how i can actually reduce the fan speeds. currently they are running at 2000-2500 RPM and the cpu has a temp of 19°C and the mainboard 28°C. what can i do to improve the fan speeds or would you even recommend me to do so?

hope you can help me out.

best,

kian

joho500

Portal Member
June 3, 2007
Haarlem NL
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi Kian,

You can use Speedfan to automatically adjust the fans connected to your mainboard. You can set a minimum and maximum speed for each fan to keep the CPU or the case at an acceptable temperature. It works like a charm on my Asus board.

Joost

Kian

Portal Pro
January 29, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
how do i get it to work exactly. i installed it and actually felt like a retard as i didnt get anything to work. do you have the same mainboard?

would be grateful if you could give me a short manual for dummies for reducing case fan speed ;)

MyPVR

Portal Pro
September 22, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi Kian,

If you don't want to use a extra software: Have a look at your BIOS settings, most ASUS mainboards offer an option called "Q-Fan". Try to activate this option to enable the temperature controlled fan speeds.

P.S.: Your fans are conntected to the mainboard, right? Or have they got this old molex plugs?

Kian

Portal Pro
January 29, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
MyPVR
mein fans are indeed connected to the mainboard.
what appens when i activate q-fan? how can i use speedfan actually?

Edit: i actually enabled Q-Fan now and the fand noise was reduced significantly. actually i am satisfied witht he noise level now. but what is q-fan doing exactly? regulating all fans or only the cpu fan?

MyPVR

Portal Pro
September 22, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
Q-Fan measures the temperatures of your CPU and mainboard. Depening on the mainboard type there are more than one measurement point. The BIOS calculates the needed speeds for CPU, system/case and - if available - additional fans. The number of controlable fans by the mainboard may differ between the manufacturers.

I'am happy to hear that the noise level of your system is now satisfactory. If one of the case fans is still loudish you could try to add a variable resitance like this: FAN MATE 2
An other option is a special fan controller: ZM-MFC2
Perhaps your power supply can handle fans like this one: Dark Power PRO 450W

Regards,
MyPVR

Kian

Portal Pro
January 29, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
MyPVR
i ordered 2 fan mates 2 last week and they just arrived. pretty cheap (2.50€) a piece. i installed and now my HTPC is "dead", with dead i mean dead silent ;)

i regulated the case fans to 1000RPM and the temp reaches 40°C max. Speedfan didnt seem to have any effect :(

so fan mate was a great suggestion and would recommend everybody else to also use it. thanks fpr helping me to realize my silent HTPC...

the only thing i canhear now are only the hdd vibrations. but bearly noticeable

Kian

Portal Pro
January 29, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
i already did. or at least i used the stock rubber rings provided by silverstone for mounting. the HDD cage is even "rubberized" ;)

MyPVR

Portal Pro
September 22, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
Great news Kian! I'am happy to hear that you like the FAN MATEs, I'am using those resistances by my own ;-)

Best Regards,
MyPVR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom