How to select the best remote control? (1 Viewer)

jcee

Portal Pro
November 23, 2004
I will call them and ask whether the remote has the extra buttons or not..maybe its just an old picture (in the web shop of my reseller)

I live in the northern part of germany.. The local resellers are www.reichelt.de and www.mindfactory.de

I understand the ONLY the MCE 2005 V2 with COLOR buttons at the lower end give all functions of MP. I also understand that there is no option to (re)map or assign functions or macros to buttons on the remote!

So I have to go for the colored one.

If you are comfortable with it, I would like to as a question regarding my remote control that came with my card:

Older Hauppauge (or other models) come with a IRremote application and irremote.ini where one could map key strokes to application. I set that up in the past and it worked perfectly.

The actual card Hauppauge NOVA-S did not came with that drivers or application. It seems that it is a completly different build. I learned that it is a TT card with a Hauppauge label.
I also check if this IRremote application from my other PVR-150 works, but it refuses (what a surprise).
Is there any around who is/was faced with the same situation?! I was really disappointed and am wondereíng whether there is a driver or whatever to use it.. ?!?!?

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
jcee said:
Older Hauppauge (or other models) come with a IRremote application and irremote.ini where one could map key strokes to application. I set that up in the past and it worked perfectly.

The actual card Hauppauge NOVA-S did not came with that drivers or application. It seems that it is a completly different build. I learned that it is a TT card with a Hauppauge label.
I also check if this IRremote application from my other PVR-150 works, but it refuses (what a surprise).
Is there any around who is/was faced with the same situation?! I was really disappointed and am wondereíng whether there is a driver or whatever to use it.. ?!?!?
The Hauppauge cards built by TechnoTrend are not using the Hauppauge drivers, that's the reason why the supplied remote works with the supplied TV app only. I don't know any 3rd party software, which can use it.
All other cards, which are built by Hauppauge (old as well as new ones) are using the Hauppauge infrared driver and are accessible by 3rd party software like Media Portal. So in case you're planning to put a PVR (or a newer Nova-T) card into your HTPC, you'd be fine, otherwise the Hauppauge remote is unusable for you.

BTW, in Germany it should be no problem to get an MCE remote with the coloured buttons. It's the official Microsoft remote here in Germany. Of course, some OEM versions or imported ones could be crippled, so watch out to get the correct one. Shouldn't be a problem.

A

Anonymous

IR Keyboard and JP1 remote

I have found the best solution for me is to use an IR Keyboard, and then use a JP1 (http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/) programmable remote to program the remote to send the keyboard ir signals. You can then just use the MP keyboard shortcuts using a remote, and it is totally customizable. This is a solution that many mythtv users are using after some frustrating experiences with lirc.

The keyboard I use is the lite-on SK-7551 http://censuspc.com/cart/product.php?productid=1040&cat=0&page=1. This is probably your best option, as there is already a working jp1 protocol to use for this. The remote I use is the One For All URC-8910 remote.

This has worked VERY well for me so far. PLus, you get a wireless keyboard out of the deal, and only need 1 IR receiver for the keyboard (renote sends its IR signals to the keyboard IR receiver).

A

Anonymous

The Hauppauge remote will probably work with the HIP applications written by BTMI. As long as you have a USB or serial device capable of communicating with the application there shouldnt be an issue.

The HIP program allows you to program keyboard commands to operate within an applciation (llike girder only free and easy) so anything your keyboard can do under MP concievably so could your remote

Downzy

Portal Pro
January 5, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Home Country
jkoppenhofer - I like that idea! I had not heard of it before, but it just might be the solution to my problems. I also have a one-for-all remote, and I have teh jp1 stuff setup.

Do you have a link to find out more about the jp1 protocol for the lite-on keyboard?

Cheers,
Downzy

A

Anonymous

Hey downzy, Do you have a USb reciever? You can use your Universal remote with MP with HIP. I was using my LG remote with my DVICo fusion USB reciever.

A

Anonymous

IR Keyboard for JP1

Here is some info...

The liteon 7551 keyboard is often referred to as an "Airboard" keyboard. I would recommed the forums at http://hifi-remote.com/forums. Specifically, there is a whole thread dedicated to the development of the protocol at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/v...&start=0&sid=dca49d62f5577e991566a628242ea414. This has worked pretty well for me with the exception that it always seems to be using the "Make or break" protocol no matter what I set the control bit to (read the thread... it will make sense).

The specific download for the "airboard" is the second post on page 4 in the above post. You can also go to the "files" section of the forum to get a slightly older, but maybe less beta version of the protocol. It is listed in the file section under "device upgrades" and "keyboards". You will notice a few other "compatible" keyboards, but if you are using the liteon, you will want the "airboard_combination" one.

Having said all this, an alternate solution could be to write your own protocol. From what I have gathered, this is not so easy for keyboards, but I think you could just learn the commands from the keyboard using the remote, and then use IR.exe to examine the learned commands and write your own protocol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom