How to silence (slow down) a DVD drive (1 Viewer)

StuckInTheMu

Portal Member
May 3, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I need to slow a DVD/Blu Ray drive to make it acceptable for use in a media centre.

All the utilities I can find seem to be designed for desktop use, with a manual "slow me down" type selection, which resets when the machine is rebooted.

I'm after something that remembers it's setting, unless I want to switch it off for software loading.

Jim

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I believe all of the following can remember settings after restart:
    - CDBremse
    - Nero DriveSpeed
    - AnyDVD (commercial, and only one of many features)

HisDudeness

Portal Member
    September 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What kind of drive do you use?
    I had a similar problem with my LG drive. It was always spinning at highest speed when a disk was in the drive.
    LG offered a firmware upgrade to solve the problem. It improved the situation a lot.
    Maybe you should check the website of the manufacturer for the latest firmware.

regards, HD

Larzon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2010
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've been curious about this too, wondering if it has anything to do with type of drive.

My older Plextor drive has a PATA interface, and it spins like mad when playing a DVD.

If I play the same DVD in my newer Sony drive, which is SATA, it slows down after a short time and becomes very quiet.

Ken4000

Portal Member
    September 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If you haven't found a solution I have it here: NeroDriveSpeed (http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/Nero-DriveSpeed.shtml). For setting this up, put a dvd in the drive and if you have multiple drives remember to select the correct one. Choose options and add the lowest speed and delete the rest.
    Also set it to startup using Task Scheduler with a administrator user, when logging in also with a delay in 1 minute, otherwise it can't control the speed. It is possible to set it to startup in the application but it doesn't work all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom