How to sort albums by year AND alphabetically in the same year (2 Viewers)

PierreLo

Portal Pro
September 7, 2004
France
Hi all,

I am reorganizing my cd collection and I managed to get it almost ok. One last thing that I cannot achieve is how to sort albums the way I want. Here's how:

I use an AlbumArtist view, with all artists sorted alphabetically. Then next level is to show for an artist all the albums, sorted by year. I have 2 albums from the same artist produced the same year and I want these to appear sorted alphabetically on the screen.

For example I have in the Kiss folder (among others) album "Killers" "and Creatures of the night" both from 1982.
The album "Creatures of the night" appears AFTER "Killers" on the screen, which I would like the other way round, sorted alphabetically.

Same goes for box set with Disc 1 to Disc 5, all produced in 2001, and which appear in random order (Disc 5 before DIsc 4, nefore DIsc1, then Disc 2 aDisc 3 at the end)

How can I sort alphabetically albums produced the same year in a 2sort by year " view ?

Thanks a lot

PierreLo:cool:

macardi

Portal Member
January 26, 2009
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I have this problem also and have not find a qure for it. I dont think its possible due to some shortcomings or a bug in MP. If you ever find a solution plese post it, thanks.

Cheers

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I do not think it is an issue or bug but rather a new feature. Currently only one sort field per view.

You can manually add another View line for the YEAR field between AlbumArtist and Album, but it is not ideal (and not what you asked ;) ) since you will get a list of years before getting a list of albums. In other words it is an additional screen to go through.

We are in a feature freeze so multiple sort fields per view will not be added soon if at all.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi all,

I am reorganizing my cd collection and I managed to get it almost ok. One last thing that I cannot achieve is how to sort albums the way I want. Here's how:

I use an AlbumArtist view, with all artists sorted alphabetically. Then next level is to show for an artist all the albums, sorted by year. I have 2 albums from the same artist produced the same year and I want these to appear sorted alphabetically on the screen.

For example I have in the Kiss folder (among others) album "Killers" "and Creatures of the night" both from 1982.
    The album "Creatures of the night" appears AFTER "Killers" on the screen, which I would like the other way round, sorted alphabetically.

Same goes for box set with Disc 1 to Disc 5, all produced in 2001, and which appear in random order (Disc 5 before DIsc 4, nefore DIsc1, then Disc 2 aDisc 3 at the end)

How can I sort alphabetically albums produced the same year in a 2sort by year " view ?

Thanks a lot

Hi,
    About disc sort: this should work when Disc is set in tag aka 1 of 3, 2 of 3 3 of 3, then it will appear with a 1 before the real track number, like 101, 102, 103, 104 & 201, 202, 203, 204 etc.

For the year album not alphabetic sorted, this can be a bug but need to check some more before i can say that.

Regards
    Roy

PierreLo

Portal Pro
    September 7, 2004
    France
    Thanks to all for your answers.

Ronilse, I have all discs from the Kiss Box Set correctly tagged with Disc Id tag, but still covers don't appear in the correct order.

I have disc4 first, then disc 5, then disc 3, then disc 2 then disc 1. (see attached screen capture)

I had a look inside the music database itself but couldn't tell what criteria is used to display this in this weird order.
    If I knew why MP displays covers in this order, I could try to change what needs to be changed in my files or system to fool MP, but I can't find any reason.
    If someone knows what the sorting criteria is in the "sort by Year" view when several albums share the same year, please let me know ! (It is not the album name, not the filename, and not the time it was created in the database, so I really don't know how MP decides to present the albums in this order rather than another one...:confused:

Cheers

PIerreLo:cool:

Attachments

• SortProblem.JPG
      SortProblem.JPG
      126.9 KB

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    It is not MP who decides how the albums are displayed.
    We display them in the order how the database returns them.

The sort is per YEAR. And if you have multiple albums in the same year they're returned in the order as the database presents them to us.
    I should have put another order in the sql statement, but this is not the case.
    So currently you can't do anything from MP side or database side.
    The sql statement is simply not producing the right sort order.
    This needs to be fixed in the code.

PierreLo

Portal Pro
    September 7, 2004
    France
    Thanks hwahrmann,

That's a clear explanation. :)
    I will write a bug report for this in case some developer can find 10 seconds to correct this for the next release :D

Ciao

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I still think it should not be a bug report but rather a feature request.
    MP can sort each line in the VIEW on ONE field. It was not by mistake, it was coded like that.

Now we have the need to sort one line on more than one field. To me that is not a bug but an enhancement.
    Don't get me wrong, I will also find it very much useful :)

Attachments

• sort.jpg
      sort.jpg
      43.7 KB

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    rekenaar,

you're absolutely right. it sounds like a new feature.
    However to get the sorting done per year i needed to do special sql handling in the code.
    while i wouldn't introduce a second sort field, i just would change this special constructed sql to sort in addition by name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom