HowTo: Compiling MediaPortal with just .NET framework 2.0 (1 Viewer)

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

Well, the subject is a bit deceptive, but here's a little tutorial on how to compile MediaPortal with as little as possible pieces of software installed:

Get the software:
    It would be easy if svn.exe is placed in a directory which is in the PATH variable, or add the directory where you put it into the PATH variable.

Initial checkout
    Code:
    @echo off
    c:
    cd\
    svn checkout https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mediaportal/trunk/mediaportal

Ok, now the source should be available in c:\mediaportal .

Update local working copy
    After the initial checkout, it should be sufficient to execute the following in order to update your local working copy:
    Code:
    @echo off
    pushd c:\
    svn update mediaportal
    popd
    If you run this little batch file, then after a while your local working copy should be updated with the SVN source tree. You can update later on with the same batch file.

Build MediaPortal:
    After updating, it's time for compilation. I just put the command into a batch file so I don't have to remember the syntax:
    Code:
    @echo off
    pushd c:\mediaportal
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\msbuild.exe mediaportal.sln /t:Rebuild /p:Configuration=Release
    popd
    After the build is successfully completed, your freshly compiled MediaPortal is available in C:\mediaportal\xbmc\bin\release\.

That's it.

Kind regards,
    Michel

EDIT: added solution filename to build batchfile... :oops:
    EDIT 01-04-2006: updated howto for SVN

pigboy307

Portal Member
    March 10, 2006
    Am i being thick?
    Done all that and thanks for the idiots guide but what do i do with it now when i started it i said RC2 is this right. I thought it would have a different version number.

I presume you run the postbuild.bat file?

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

postbuild.bat automatically gets run at the end of the build process, so no need to run it manually. The build vesion only gets updated during release (candidate) builds, so newer CVS versions always show the version of the last release (candidate). The same goes for binary CVS snapshots from https://www.team-mediaportal.de .

Kind regards,
    Michel

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

Updated this little howto for the switch to SVN.

Kind regards,
    Michel

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,
    johnbobjamesson said:
    are there any advantages building MP on the machine you will be using it over using cvs snapshot builds?
    In short, no.

You'll only gain from it if you've modified some parts of the code, for example. Another advantage is that you can update to current SVN anytime you want. Binary SVN snapshots are only created on fixed intervals or on request of a developer.

Kind regards,
    Michel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom