HOWTO: Use MCE Remote with MyBlaster for Telewest STB (UK) (1 Viewer)

joelj

March 31, 2006
Using the MyBlaster and MCE Remote IR Blaster to change channels on a Telewest Set Top Box (STB):
You don't need RedEye (www.redeyeremote.co.uk) for this - although it is a fine product. But you do need a One For All programmable remote. Even an old one will do!

PROBLEM:
Telewest UK set top boxes, such as the Scientific Atlanta 4200DVB, use a variant of IRDA signals (i.e. the kind used on a laptop's IRDA port). The remote control you get with the boxes don't use RC5 or RC6 "Consumer IR" protocols.

So whatever you try, you can't get MyBlaster to successfully send those signals back to the STB, although blaster.exe says it learns them OK.

SOLUTION:
The STBs seem to understand a dual set of commands - IRDA and RC5!!! Woof!

If you've got a One For All remote control, you can use that to teach MyBlaster.

There are two things I needed to do to get this to work:

1) Find the right "magic code" for the STB
2) Find the right one for the "SELECT" or "OK" key that bizarrely seems to be missing.

The remote code that worked for me was 008. But you might find 277 or 017 works better for you.

The SELECT key code that worked was 139, but if that doesn't work try 155 or 163.

HOW TO PROGRAM THE ONE FOR ALL (OFA) REMOTE:

This is what I did:
a) Press SAT on the OFA
b) Press and hold the MAGIC key until the light flashes twice
c) Enter the remote code (e.g. 008) - the light should flash twice again.
d) Try powering off the STB using the OFA remote, if it works, you're done... If not, try again with a different code.

HOW TO PROGRAM THE SELECT KEY FOR THE ONE FOR ALL (OFA) REMOTE:
a) Press SAT on the OFA
b) Press and hold the MAGIC key until the light flashes twice
c) Tell the OFA that you are going to program a specific button by entering the code 994 followed by pressing the MAGIC button once.
d) Press the button on the OFA remote to which you want to assign the SELECT function (e.g. RED or PLAY or something) - the light should flash twice.

SUMMARY
You now should have a working replacement remote control for your STB that uses RC5 codes instead of IRDA. Try it out directly on the STB first and make sure all is fine 'n' dandy.

Now you all you need to do is set up MyBlaster as usual and learn from your OFA remote.

Or, you can download my "blaster.dat" file here, and drop it in your MediaPortal directory.

http://joelblogs.co.uk/portals/1/myblaster_sa4200dvb.zip

Good luck!

BTW - one glitch in MyBlaster that could be addressed:
If you have, say, a DVB tuner and an analogue tuner with your STB plugged into it, if you start recording something on the STB and then attempt to watch a channel that is available on both the STB and your DVB tuner, MyBlaster will change the channel on the STB as well and mess up your recording!! Is there a way to turn this off other than having separate channels in MediaPortal for your DVB channels and STB channels?

[EDIT]Looks like the only way out of the channel change problem above is to have separate channels for your STB anyway. D'oh! Although it would be nice for MediaPortal to have an individual channel listed as external and internal at the same time with all possible routes to getting that channel (DVB, STB, Analogue) and leaving it up to MP to decide which route to use based upon card priority and which tuners are already in use... Anyone?[/EDIT]

--
Joel Jeffery

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom