Ongoing htpc based on intel M and FloppyDTV (1 Viewer)

ghwerig

November 21, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Ok, i'm building another htpc and this one might be quite good.. hw setup is:

Box: Silverstone HTPC SST-LC02 Alu
cpu: Intel Pentium M 1,73Ghz
mobo: Aopen i915GMm-HFS/Skt479 mATX GbLAN SATA w componet video out
mem: 1024Mb DDR2 533Mhz Corsair
hd: Hitachi 500Gb SATA-II
dvd: sony 8x slimline dual layer
tvcard: FloppyDTV-T with CI module, viaaccess cam and boxer card (swedish dvb-t encrypted channels)

Software: Winxp sp2 and ofcours MediaPortal

i'm getting the last stuff tomorrow so this weekend i'll start build/config..
If it turns out well i'll add an 7" touchscreen as remotecontrol.. but for now a standard remote and a wireless keyboard will do

Anyone intressted in the result?
Any comment on the setup?

Visuaguy

Portal Member
October 31, 2005
Haarlem, the netherlands
Yes, I am very interested as i am in the proces of building something similar myself..
specially the floppydtv with cam and mediaportal combination interests me. (using DVB-T with conax in holland)

i like the setup although i will be looking for an even smaller chassis and i will be using the slim line Panasonic UJ-845 slot load DVD drive.

Keep us updated on this one please

ghwerig

November 21, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Hw has arrived

Got hom a few hours ago with all the remaining stuff, hw install was simple and didn't caus any troubble except that there was no firewire connectors included with the mainboard, luckely i did have one laying arround.. now i'm installing mce.. i'll keep you updated

Visard

Portal Member
September 2, 2005
Sweden
Hey, that sounds a lot like mine...

OK, some small diff. like I have Origen X15e chassie, external FireDTV-T...

Just a tip: I found "Rightmark CPU Clock" more stable than included Aopen sw ( to control the heat)

One question: Do you know there I can find the cable for Firewire in Sweden ?

Good luck with your low noise htpc - don't hessitate to ask if you think I can help... :wink:

// Visard

ghwerig

November 21, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
progress report

a little late update on the status :)
had some problems with the drivers to the motherboard, but it all solved quite easy. Was the chipset drivers that didnt work before upgrade (no big deal.. the board is quite new so...) and the audiodrivers also messed things up a bit.. Then the box gets quite warm, due to the disk and psu it seems.. so i installed a second 60mm fan and have serious thougts of replaceing the psu with an external one.. The software for controling the speed of the fans provided by abit wasnt that impressive.. so atm i'm looking for a replacement. The floppy dtv (which i installed internaly) works like a charm! and Mediaportal just as well :) got all the features i want up and running, so mainproblem with this config is the hardware in form of heat. Apart from that the system performs very good in playback/recording. I also need to hack the monitor drivers a bit to get the maximum out of my backprojected hdtv.

Visuaguy

Portal Member
October 31, 2005
Haarlem, the netherlands
Cool,
nice to hear the floppydtv is working well.

about the heat.. is it the cpu and mobo that get hot or the psu?
i have heard stories about this mobo getting warm indeed, if you have the space, try out a full on copper zalman cooler.. it might solve the heat issue.

any word on performance of the pentium M? how about recording and time shifting? all fast enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom