HTPC behind a wall -> cut/reconnect cables?

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Hi guys, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a HTPC at the other side of a wall and drill a hole just big enough for the cables by cutting/reconnecting because of the connectors.

My guess:
    - audio: no problem if it's analogue
    - power for display: no problem
    - video: guess that d-sub/vga would be possible - or not? What about dvi or hdmi?
    - usb remote: no idea, would use and extension cord and cut that one

Your ideas on this are very welcome!

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Hi guys, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a HTPC at the other side of a wall and drill a hole just big enough for the cables by cutting/reconnecting because of the connectors.

My guess:
    - audio: no problem if it's analogue
    - power for display: no problem
    - video: guess that d-sub/vga would be possible - or not? What about dvi or hdmi?
    - usb remote: no idea, would use and extension cord and cut that one

Your ideas on this are very welcome!
    audio: no problem if it's analogue---agree
    power for display: no problem agree
    video: guess that d-sub/vga would be possible - or not? What about dvi or hdmi? yikes! cut and splice controlled impedance cable???
    usb remote: no idea, would use and extension cord and cut that one -- Same comment...
    Not saying it won’t work, it might, just saying that I had enough trouble getting a HDMI cable that properly passed the EDID data that I would not introduce a splice..
    The ends on the last two are fairly small, drill a big hole and avoid problems, ...
    see this link for some detail on the design of HDMI cable
    What's the Matter with HDMI? -- Blue Jeans Cable

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    you don't want to cut a hole that is barely large enough for the cable, and you don't want to have to cut and join cables together.

If you cut a hole large enough for a kettle plug to go through, you should then be able to slip a HDMI connector through that hole along side the power cable. Then you should still have enough space for a USB connector to slip through. That's all you really need for a setup, audio is handled by HDMI, if it isn't then again, there should still be room in that ~30mm diamater hole for a 3.5" jack or a single phono plug at a time.

you shouldn't need more than 30-35mm diameter for all that.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Thanks guys for your input! ;)
    I really thought it would be possible to cut/reconnect the cables :oops: and I agree that it the hole doesn't have to be that big but I might go for a mini (asrock ion 330) kinda system and attach it to the back of the screen

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
    T General 5
    Requiem General 0
    ge2301 General 0
    T General 11
    A General 55
    Top Bottom