HTPC doesn't hibernate eventhough PowerScheduler being active (1 Viewer)

gregpeters

Portal Pro
August 7, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

I'm trying to use the PowerSheduler plug-in in order to put my htpc into hibernate mode after being idle for a time.

My htpc system is configured as follows:
- MediaPortal 1.1.0.0 single machine installation (i.e., TV server and MP installed on the same computer)
- Windows XP Pro SP3
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H, 780G
For more information about my system, please see my profile.

I've activated hibernation in Windows, and the system hibernates when I'm putting it into sleep manually. I didn't select hibernate or standby in the power settings of windows.

I activate the powerscheduler plugin in both, MediaPortal and the TV Server. In both plug ins, I've set the same values (see pictures attached). But the system never enters hibernation.

Can this be due to some MP plug-ins like moving pictures or my tv series that are updating in the background? Or can this be due to Norton Antivirus 2010? It even doesn't hibernate if MP is on the homescreen. I also tried the force shutdown function in the plug-ins -- didn't change.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Can anybody help?

Cheers,

Greg

P.S.: As you can see in the pics, I've enabled "extensive logging". Can does anybody know where I can find those logs?

Attachments

• MediaPortal_1.png
    MediaPortal_1.png
    8.2 KB
  • MediaPortal_2.png
    MediaPortal_2.png
    7.1 KB
  • MediaServer_1.png
    MediaServer_1.png
    26.3 KB
  • MediaServer_2.png
    MediaServer_2.png
    25 KB
  • MediaServer_3.png
    MediaServer_3.png
    25.2 KB
  • MediaServer_4.png
    MediaServer_4.png
    20.8 KB
  • MediaServer_5.png
    MediaServer_5.png
    22.9 KB

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Logs can be saved by running MP in debug mode, or found manually in the MP folder under Documents and Settings, Application Data (which is a hidden folder).

Have you tried ticking "Force Shutdown" - that might help.

Robbo100

gregpeters

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: HTPC doesn't hibernate eventhough PowerScheduler being active

Thanks Robbo100 for your reply.

Yes, I've tried the force shutdown function but it didn't work.

Cheers,

Greg

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

You have enabled "Prevent standby when grabbing EPG", that is a possible problem. You can check this in TV Server configuration in section "Manual Control" if the card is grabbing EPG.

gregpeters

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Thanks for all the posts. Sorry for the delay: I'm just back from a business trip.

robbo100: I looked there but can't find the PowerScheduler logs (there are many logs but none called PowerScheduler, or something similar). Can you please be a bit more precise? thanks!

netexplorer: I'm not grabbing EPG from DVB but with the WebEPG plug in. I checked the manual control section and it says "idle" as supposed. The WebEPG plugin is scheduled to grab EPG every morning at 06:00 and I set the according time but 5 min. earlier in PowerScheduler. Is there something wrong with that?

Cheers,

Greg

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I am pretty sure that Powerscheduler writes to the TV Service and MP logs rather than to a seperate log.

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi, the things i would do:

- Make the list of processen as empty as possible.
    - Set the time to 5 minutes on both server and mp client to test.
    - Check that the pc is not kept alive by shares used by other pc's.
    - Post all your mediaportal logs here. So we can help you properly. To do this you need to startup MediaPortal via the start menu in a different way, so it disables all non standard plugins.

gregpeters

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Solved: HTPC doesn't hibernate eventhough PowerScheduler being active

Many thanks to all. It is working now!!!

(by the way, where can I indicate in this thread that the issue has been solved? By using the thumbs up symbol?)

I'm not sure what the problem really was but it seems that it was related to Windows XP rather than MP.

I didn't change anything in MP nor the TV server configuration. The only thing I changed is the following (please note that I've a German Windows XP, meaning that the following might actually be spelled differently on an English Win XP):

1) I went into the Windows Hardware Manager on my machine
    2) I don't know why but there are quite a lot of different HI devices installed on my machine (I always assumed that this is due to my fake X10 remote but this can't explain the whole story. On a side note: as you can see in the pic, I disabled some HIDs. I did this to prevent inputs on the remote to be repeated for a second time (i.e. every stroke on my remote had been repeated once. Disabling some HID resolved this issue)
    attachment.php

3) I looked through all HIDs, and some have a "Power Saving/control tab" (in German: Energieverwaltung)
    4) I checked a function that reads out like "allow device to activate computer from standby mode" ( In German: Gerät kann den Computer aus dem Standbymodus aktivieren").
    5 ) I repeated step 4 on all HIDs with a "Power Saving/control tab"

As I haven't done any other changes to my machine, I assume that this was the trick. I don't really understand it, though, because my problem was to get my computer into hibernate and not to activate from hibernation.

I haven't tried to schedule a recording yet. However, I can confirm that the htpc enters hibernation as supposed, wakes up at 6 am for grabbing WebEPG, and subsequently hibernates again.

Cheers,

Greg

Attachments

• 2010-09-18_170140.png
      2010-09-18_170140.png
      4.6 KB

gregpeters

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I've scheduled a recording last night and i worked (i.e., the htpc woke up for the scheduled recording and subsequently entered hibernation)

However, I've a new problem now: In the PowerScheduler plug-in of the TV-Server, there is a tab called "Network Monitor". I activated the prevent system from standby due to network traffic function, but it doesn't work, that is, even though I'm copying great amounts of data from the htpc to a laptop, the htpc enters hibernation.

Does anybody know how to get this function to work? (it is set to 2 KB/sec).

Cheers,

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom