Ongoing HTPC/MRCS Self-Build (1 Viewer)

PabloTeK

September 10, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Concept: Well my idea started about a month ago when I needed a PC to control my model railway at my grandparents up North so we first looked at laptops but the power was limited and so was the upgradability because they were mostly used laptops that were any good, the newer ones had Vista and about 1 bit of RAM.

So I looked at building my own; I already had done on one occasion with the computer I'm typing this on with success and the ability to upgrade and so it was born...

Specification:
  • It must be compact
  • It must be less than £300
  • It must have Windows XP
  • It must be well-cooled yet quiet
  • It must have at least a 160GB HDD (For all the music)

Components:

So I have a list of components which are:
  • AMD Athlon64 3200+ (AM2)
  • Asus M2A-VM HDMI
  • Corsair XMS2 1GB DDR2 PC-5300
  • Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS
  • LiteOn DH-20A3P-12C
  • Coolermaster 330 Elite
  • Arctic Cooling Alpine 64
  • 2x Hiper 120mm Case fans
  • Akasa Fan Controller Jr.
  • D-Link AirPlus G
  • Sumvision 2-port KVM Switch
  • Jeantech Arctic 600w PSU
  • Windows XP Home Edition
  • Ebuyer 1M HDMI cable

Anything I could change? I need the KVM switch for when it's running as a server baring in mind...

xJulian

September 13, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Well, I know my way around silent and efficient systems, so...

First thing first: Your PSU has waaay too much power. Get a Seasonic S12II 330W, it's a great PSU, very silent and very efficient (80+ certified).

Since you have opted for a standard tower case... I'd recommend you ditch the Alpine and buy a Scythe Ninja instead. It's a bit more expensive considering it's "just" a heatsink, but the cooling is way superior. In fact, I have an Athlon64 3200+ myself (albeit 939) and the Ninja performs just fine even without the fan that comes bundled with it.

I have a thing for silent systems myself, and my PSU is the only air exhaust. Although for that to work reasonably, I have also underclocked the CPU quite a bit, which may not be desirable for you. So you'll need a second air exhaust.

I see you have room for a 120mm fan in the back. Get a Yate Loon D12SL-12. Or even (slightly) better, a Scythe S-FLEX 1200 if you have the money to spare. For starters, you can also try the fan that comes bundled with the Ninja since you won't be putting it on there anyway. Be absolutely sure to get some of those rubber bolts. Not these (they suck) but these. They prevent the fan from causing the case to vibrate.

One more thing: Don't put a fan in the front. Instead, tape over the openings in the side of the case (you can do it on the inside and with transparent tape if you're concerned with looks), this way you get a defined airflow. Put the fan in the rear (blowing out), if the front is the only other opening, it will pull the air from there. Given that, a second fan in the front only adds like 10% to the airflow. Your HDD doesn't need it, trust me.

I can't say anything in comparison about the HDD you listed, but I know for a fact that the Samsung SpinPoint P120 series is very silent. That would be the SP1603C for 160GB, although the SP2504C (250GB) is just 3€ more over here. That's the model I'm using anyway. Now it's not completely silent by itself, I have a self-made noise swallow box installed. If you also want a silent HDD, your best option would be a Scythe Quiet Drive. This is probably not something you'll want to do right away, but if you silence the rest of your system, the HDD will get on your nerves, trust me. :p

So I recommend the following setup: Seasonic PSU, Ninja (passive), one fan in the back. Scythe Quiet Drive if sufficient money is at disposal. For my qualification: My system is very similiar, and it's just about absolutely silent. Sitting next to it, the screen is louder (no kidding, it has a built-in PSU that makes these noises that only start to be annoying when the system itself is completely silent)... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom