Ongoing HTPC - need some help (1 Viewer)

wusel

Portal Pro
November 3, 2011
Home Country
Okay, i am playing with an idea to build a HTPC. My knowledge about hardware is rather poor. So i'd like to have some advice.
What i expect:
- 1080p
- watch TV via DVB-T
- Blurayplayer
- music, pics
- wake the HTPC via infrared
I have a gaming PC and both should use the same Soundsystem.

I've chosen following components:
1 x Intel Core i3-2125, 2x 3.30GHz, boxed (BX80623I32125)
1 x Corsair ValueSelect DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1333) (CMV8GX3M2A1333C9)
1 x ASRock H67M, H67 (B3) (dual PC3-10667U DDR3)
1 x Antec Fusion schwarz/silber, 430W ATX 2.0 (0761345-08738-4)
With this CPU i dont need any GPU, right?
Which Bluray-player can you recommend?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would be wary of Intel integrated graphics. I think you may need a relatively cheap dedicated graphics card instead.

I notice you don't mention a TV card. I can highly recommend the TBS cards. The TBS 6280 is great, and supports DVB-T2 (HD) which you might not need now but could need in future.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would be wary of Intel integrated graphics. I think you may need a relatively cheap dedicated graphics card instead.
    Would not dismiss them that really. I have a sandy bridge setup in a mini itx setup for the bedroom. Only issue is you can't quite get 23.976 (but pretty close with latest drivers) for bluray but that is a problem with many discrete cards too.

I am pretty happy with this setup

Crafty

Portal Member
    March 21, 2012
    Home Country
    England England
    I'm running a pretty similar setup, i3 2120 and a Asus H8M67M PRO motherboard.
    The onboard graphics are okay, it manages HD fine.

There is however an issue with the graphics driver - I built the machine, connected it to the TV via HDMI and it was fine. I then routed it through an AV amp and the machine would blue screen on start up. Go direct to the TV again and it was fine.
    The blue screen concerned the graphics card driver, I was using the version off the CD that came with the motherboard, this was version 8.15.10.2405. Through a bit of searching I found other people had experienced blue screen issues with this motherboard when connected to various equipment via HDMI. The answer is to roll back the driver to 8.15.10.2219 (available on the Asus website).. its the only way to get it to work - even the newest drivers from Intel will cause the problem.

Its not an issue, but just be aware you may need the older driver if you do see an issue, the blue screen will mention igdkmd64.sys

wusel

Portal Pro
    November 3, 2011
    Home Country
    I have to install drivers/software. So thank you for the information.

Edit: i had problems with playing hd-files first. But with lav-filters everything works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom