HTPC or PVR/DVD-Burner? (1 Viewer)

stefcep2

Portal Member
October 18, 2007
Home Country
I am tossing up whether I should build a Mediaportal HTPC or buy a panasonic pvr/dvd burner. I know that a HTPC is more felxible with more features but I just want to be able to record didgital tv by programming it turn itself on at set time, record a particular program, end at a set time and turn itself off, like I still do with my VCR and hd settop box ( I have to leave the STB on all night and program the VCR to start recording form the AVInpput that the STB outputs to). I know that that panasonic can do this but can a MediaPortal htpc do it: It must turn itself on and off as i want to record stuff that starts at 4:00 and ends at 8 in the morning (euro soccer)

ch0colate

Portal Member
October 25, 2006
Home Country
England England
Probably not the best place to come for an unbiased opinion ;)

However from the sounds of it a pvr dvd burner would do the trick for you, I was initially looking to get one of these but found the type I wanted (dual dvb-t tuners and a dvd burner with decent epg) were more expensive than my current htpc and didnt offer the upgrade potential and flexibility. If you dont need the flexibility of an htpc and dont fancy tinkering I would recommend a pvr type thing.

Would you be getting the tv from a satellite receiver?

mr_minning

Portal Member
October 30, 2004
Gothenburg
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I was after the same "VCR behaviour" that you request too when I set up my HTPC. I got it done using WebEPG to get the best possible interface for selecting which shows to record. Just click the show to record it, or select advanced to select to record on same channel every time the show is on.
To get the HTPC to switch on and off I use PowerScheduler. I set it to switch on 1 min before recording,giving it plenty of time to "get ready", and switch off after 15min of inactivity. This got it working better than any VCR of mine ever did.
The next step is to get comskip to work, so I don't have to "fastforward" during commercials.

Is it more complicated than VCR/PVR/DVD: Yes!
More expensive: You bet!
Would I recommend the simple way: Never :)

NorthernJohn

Portal Pro
January 31, 2006
Hopefully on my bike.
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've been going through the same dilemma.

When we moved house we gave up Sky+. For those that don't know, Sky+ is THE most intuitive pvr system out there (runs on UK Sky DVB-S). It just costs a lot but beats the competition hands down.

I told my wife that as we weren't using the premium channels we may as well spend a small amount of money on disc space for the htpc, get a freeview card and exploit the features in MP, thereby saving about £40 a month. I'm happy with it but my wife still misses the simplicity of Sky+.

My father-in-law has a Humax dual tuner DVB-T pvr which is actually a nice piece of kit. For some reason, my wife finds this more intuitive than MP. If anything, it's worse (you can't tell if you've already watched something for example). She has a mental block about using the htpc for TV for some reason. Music, Videos; no problem. TV forget it.

My advice. Build the HTPC. The interface is actually quite intuitive. I work in the IT industry. Most problems do come down to user training (honest :)). I know how to use it because I've made the effort to do so (and it's not actually at all difficult).

I'd agree with ch0colate. You may be able to get out of the box components to do what you want. But they won't have the upgrade potential as MP and will be comparitive in cost.

ch0colate

Portal Member
October 25, 2006
Home Country
England England
There are plenty of very reasonable ready made htpcs these days, Im trying to decide at the moment wether to advise my parents to get a ready built htpc and put mediaportal on it for them or get a pvr type thing. They was really impressed with my mediaportal setup but I just dont know if it may be a bit to complex for them.

Im using tv engine not server and I find there are a few bugs when scheduling recordings and things that may freak them out a bit but Im sure these will be all sorted within a few releases. Ive never had any problems with the pc waking to record etc, tbh it seems about as stable in this regard as sky+ has been in my experience (of seeing other peoples)

How well do the epg and record scheduling features on pvrs work these days?

So in conclusion get a pvr, no get an htpc..... pvr.... erm htpc...........

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    stefcep2,
    I have both. Bought the Panasonic first, and still use it for recording TV shows and movies (from analog cable).
    The HTPC is primarily a music server for me. One of these days, I hope it will replace the functions of the Panasonic DMR-EH80V, but the operability and stability (in short, WAF) need to be better first.

@choc0late,
    To be fair, MP has a better EPG. However, that's because you can put it together from different sources, and it's not trivial to get it all set up. The Panasonic is literally "plug & play". Your parents will probably be better served with a similar PVR from a consumer electronics manufacturing. HTPCs are fun and capable, but still (IMHO) a time-consuming hobby for computer fans.

stefcep2

Portal Member
    October 18, 2007
    Home Country
    No satellite, just terrestrial. Thanks for all your reponses. I was thinking along the same lines. Although the HTPC offers other things like emulation which i like, I think i will have to go the Panasonic PVR/burner because of its plug and play simplicity. Actually I'd priced up my HTPC components (Asus on board hdmi MB, 2G ram, 320g hd winfast 1000T tuner with a remote that ghas a mediaportal plug in, AMDX4000+X2 CPU, pioneer burner and HTPC case for $575Aus) and it would be cheaper to make a HTPC ( and in HD with 320g drive whereas the panasonic pvr/burner is only SD and 160g drive). The absolute must is to have schedule power on and off and reliabilty. I may end up getting both..eventually. Thanks again

BTW can a PVR/DVD burner rip commercial dvd'sand CD's to the hard drive or is this illegal even if you have legitimately purchased the DVD/CD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom