HVR-2250 Set Up Assistance, Please - No Channels Showing (1 Viewer)

joenooch

Portal Member
October 19, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello, and Happy Holidays,

Just a little Background:
About a month ago I decided to purchase the Hauppauge HVR-2250 TV Tuner Card with the intention of using it in MP. Initially after installation, I set it up quickly with Windows Media Center, and it worked just fine. Now with the holidays I have some time off, I've been reading the forums and available user guides, and would like to incorporate the card into my MP setup (which i regularly use for movies, tv shows, and emulators).

Ok, so my problem is that TV Server Config is not finding any channels when I do a scan.

This is what I have done so far:

- I disabled Windows Media Center services in the Control Panel, and even went as far as to turn the WMC feature off in "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel. If i go in MP Configure-->3rd Party Checks, the window states that WMC services are not installed.

- Win TV is NOT installed.

- I do have the latest drivers installed for the card.

- I followed THIS procedure to configure Hybrid Cards, though honestly I wasn't sure what combination to select. Looking at attachment 1.jpg for reference, I'm showing 6 devices in MP TV Server Configure; (1) is the radio, which I disabled, and (4) are associated with the Hauppauge Card. I made (2) hybrids, one with a "Type: ATSC, ID: #2" and "Type: Analog, ID: #4," and the other hybrid with ID #3 and #5. (Shown in attament 2.jpg.) Is this the right combination, or does it not matter?

- Next I followed THIS procedure to do the quick tv setup. However, I only got as far as the channel scan. (See attachment 3.jpg.)

I've tried a few different things, and have been reading forum posts all morning but I still can't get this to iron out. Can anybody please offer any assistance?

Thank you! Sorry about the lengthy post.

MediaPortal Version: 1.2.3
MediaPortal Skin: Streamed MP 1.7.8.3202
Windows Version: 7 64bit
CPU Type: i5-2500k
Memory: 16gb
Video Card: MSI HD6950
Video Card Driver: latest
Sound Card: n/a
Sound Card AC3: n/a
Sound Card Driver: latest
1. TV Card: Hauppauge 2250 dual tuner
1. TV Card Type: dual tuner
1. TV Card Driver: latest
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow DXVA
Remote: n/a
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    145.4 KB
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    99.1 KB
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    131.8 KB

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    Joe,

what type of TV signals are you trying to receive and setup?
    ATSC, Over The Air (antenna)
    QAM, basic cable
    Analog cable, in the US there is almost no analog OTA left.

I use the same 2250 tuner for ATSC OTA and can scan my local channels without a problem. I only enabled the ATSC tuner and disabled everything else and let the channel scanning run to the end. Assuming ATSC OTA you can look at www.tvfool.com, enter your zipcode, and see the local channels you should be able to receive.

joenooch

Portal Member
    October 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Ron,

Whoops, I forgot that part. :)
    I'm going for QAM, basic cable. The cable line that comes into the house is split; two lines go to my parents' cable box, i have the other (not going to a cable box, but directly connected to the card.)

I assume I would need to connect to an actual antenna to get an ATSC signal?

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    Joe,

You would need an antenna to get ATSC. TVfool will give you some idea if you are close to the stations and can get a simple antenna setup.

I've never tried to setup cable/QAM, but think you should try the following

1. disable the analog tuners, only enable the ATSC/QAM
    2. select 1 of the QAM tuners, set the "Tune QAM" checkbox, leave the QAM tuning option at default. Does your cable-company have any info on the QAM mode?
    3. press "scan" and let it run to the end, this could take a while but should find channels. Most will be encrypted, some will be QAM basic.

if you do not find any channels, try changing the QAM tuning option.

4. go to the TV Channel in TV Server Config, the "red" channels are encrypted, you should be able to view the "green" basic QAM channels. I think you then need to view the channels to see what is on each QAM basic channel to identify the channel, you can then modify/edit the channel name to match

The HDHR tuners have some MePo setup help for their tuners, the basic instructions for steps #6, #8 and #9 should work for the 2250

http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdhomerun/instructions/mediaportal/

HDHR also has info from other QAM basic cable users that might help with setup. Start at
    http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

enter your zipcode and use "provider" option in the upper left corner to set your cable company.

Last edited:

joenooch

Portal Member
    October 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Ron,

Thanks again for the response.
    Before I run through your procedure and disable the analog tuners, should I reconfigure my hybrid setup to reflect what is actually enabled? Or can I leave it how it is?

And what about the DvbIP, shown in the 1.jpg attachment? Disable that as well?

Last edited:

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    Joe,

On my systems I've never tried any of the analog or hybrid setup options so I'd recommend you just enable both of your HVR-2250 ATSC/QAM tuners. I'd also disable the DvbIP, I don't think this applies to the USA. With my 2250, HDHR tuners and OTA ATSC, I just enable the ATSC tuners, do a scan, then setup my TV Channels. For QAM I think you just need to enable QAM and run the channel scan.

In the HDHR help info, steps #6, #8 and #9 show what they suggest for QAM scanning, I think this would apply to the 2250. With QAM the cable does not send any channel name/ID info, so I think you'll need to watch the channels and figure out the channel mapping/names.

Last edited:

joenooch

Portal Member
    October 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Ron,

Understood.
    Let me run with your suggestions and I'll report back.
    Thank you.

joenooch

Portal Member
    October 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Ron,

It got it last night! After following your procedure and selecting the correct QAM tuning option, I was able to pick up channels. So now I just need to sort through the channels that were picked up.

Thank you so much for your help, it's much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom