I have XMLTV Working, but how do I automate the <tvguide.xml> import process. (1 Viewer)

goodwad

Portal Member
October 23, 2006
As the subject says, I have XMLTV working and batched up to a task scheduler. My question is how can I get Media Portal to automatically import the <tvguide.xml> file without manually pressing F3 in the TV guide section of Media Portal?

My ultimate goal is to vnc into my Media Portal/media server to schedule what I want and that the TV guide always be updated.

I plan on streaming the video files to various Xbox Media Center T.V.'s

I appreciate anyone's time on this.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    MediaPortal will import the TVGuide.xml file automagically for you, but it can take a few minutes if the TVGuide.xml file is large.

Alternately, if you want the TVGuide.xml file to be imported immediately after it has been updated, then you can use "TVGuideScheduler.exe" - here is some more info.

You will have to setup the EPG grabber in MediaPortal Setup to be TVGuide.xml for TVGuideScheduler to work correctly.

HTH ..... :)

goodwad

Portal Member
    October 23, 2006
    So I guess you are telling me that Media Portal will automatically detect changes in the xml file? Does it detect changes no matter how I generate the file? From your post it seems that Media Portal has to be running and the user must have entered the TV Guide section inside My TV at least once for Media Portal to periodically start looking for changes in the xml file. Does this sound correct?

goodwad

Portal Member
    October 23, 2006
    Maybe this explains why I get the message "TVGuide import failed. Already importing..." once I manually run my grabber to generate the xml file and then immediately go into TV Guide to press F3 and manually try to import the TV Guide.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    So I guess you are telling me that Media Portal will automatically detect changes in the xml file?
    Yes, that's correct.

Does it detect changes no matter how I generate the file?

I believe so.

From your post it seems that Media Portal has to be running and the user must have entered the TV Guide section inside My TV at least once for Media Portal to periodically start looking for changes in the xml file. Does this sound correct?
    That's the bit that I am still not sure about, as I haven't tested it thoroughly yet. I am hoping that after I have updated the TVGuide.xml file(using WebEPG) and I have run TVGuideScheduler.exe to import the new TVGuide.xml into MediaPortal's TV database, I can then launch MediaPortal and the recurring schedules will be updated automatically within a few minutes.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Maybe this explains why I get the message "TVGuide import failed. Already importing..." once I manually run my grabber to generate the xml file and then immediately go into TV Guide to press F3 and manually try to import the TV Guide.
    Yes, that is why you get the message .... :)

goodwad

Portal Member
    October 23, 2006
    Taipan,

It seems like you sure have your act together. :)

I have similar interests as you. Would you mind posting snippets/examples of your batch file regarding the importation process and command line switches of the <tvguide.xml> using <TVGuideScheduler.exe>, as well as examples of starting and stopping Media Portal?

You've been very helpful and I appreciate your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom