I want No Timeshifting (1 Viewer)

FdL

Portal Pro
April 17, 2009
Simply put, I want no timeshifting for the TV function of MP.

My system doesn't support it properly, no matter how much time I spend tweaking on it (analog software encoder tuner card, and the processor isn't too fast).

As it is, the program gives me no options. And with 1.0.2, this will just leave behind the possibility.

I want to ask the author for the possibility of including an option to disable the timeshifting in Media Portal so one can just watch live tv with it.

I don't know of the technicalities, but with issues like these I get the impression that this program is aimed almost exclusively towards very experienced users with high end equipment. And while this could perfectly be the intention of this software, I think that a lot of people could benefit from functionality that supports both simpler configuration and lower hardware requirements (I'm assuming that for timeshifting to work properly you need a hardware encoding tuner and/or a very fast system).

michael90t

Portal Member
April 1, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I dont use Timeshifting either so it would be nice to have that as an option (seems like it would cut back on ALOT of memory/drive read/writes) and it DOES create a lot of lagtime for data coming into one of the video inputs... that some of the cards have..... say if I wanted to hook up my video recorder or a hd/blueray player and play back though media portal it seriously makes navigating a menu a massive pain.....

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Guy's

Don't want to appear rude, but did you read the requirements for MP before you installed it.

If you do not want timeshifting, then use the internal TVEngine (no longer supported), just select NO to TV during install, but no guarantee that your card will work, did I say it's no longer supported :)

michael90t

Portal Member
    April 1, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    LOL

I dont have any problems running it I have a really decent system.... I just never USE it so thought it would be nice to turn it off if it was possible :)

Its really only a problem when running an external video source through the capture card... then any type of keypress has big lag before it shows up because of the time shifted factor and becomes a real pain to rewind or fast forward or whatever :)

FdL

Portal Pro
    April 17, 2009
    I see. I'll just start looking for another program that does what I want. Thanks for replying.

FdL

Portal Pro
    April 17, 2009
    I was actually considering MeediOS or XMBC. I'm willing to put up with some tweaking if I see I like what I'm getting.

I'll check SageTV too. Thanks!

aidbish

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2007
    righthandside 3/4 way up
    I was actually considering MeediOS or XMBC. I'm willing to put up with some tweaking if I see I like what I'm getting.

I'll check SageTV too. Thanks!

No tv in Meedios or XMBC. they are both looking at writing plugins to interface to the mediaportal tv server, so timeshifting will be there anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom